News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Just a Heads Up on a payphone that may be listed

Started by benkeys, January 12, 2016, 10:12:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

benkeys

There is a lady on the ATCA facebook page selling what looks to be a 3 slot WE Payphone. I have no clue if that is what it actually is or not since I know very little about payphones. When I seen the post I told her that she may have better luck selling it on here and to keep in mind that it may cost somebody 50.00 or more to have it shipped since they are heavy. I'm not going to state how much she wants for it, but it's quite a bit. I just didn't want you guys to be surprised if you came across a new member selling a very expensive 3 slot payphone. However I do have one question, suppose it is an actual WE 3 slot phone from say the 50's or 60's, that is complete and original but in unknown working condition, what would one be worth roughly? I know enough to know they don't come cheap.
Ben K...  1960 WE 500 and 1972 SC 554   Always enjoying the sound of a phone with a bell ringer ringing....

poplar1

The upper housing center lock can be opened with a 10G key (generic). Since the phone appears to be sitting on a homemade shelf, rather than a standard backboard, there would be no need for the barrel lock key, since the stud attached to that lock can be removed from the back of the phone....if there is no coin box, then the vault door can easily be removed by taking the back off the phone. Rather than hire a locksmith, a replacement 30-C vault door lock with key can be purchased on Ebay for $15 or less.

it's probably a Western Electric 212 postpay model, since there is no pull bucket but there does appear to be a coin release button. Also, there wouldn't be a barrel lock on a 191 unless someone swapped upper housings for a newer one.

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.