News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

2500 with an Amphenol connector

Started by podor, February 03, 2016, 11:05:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

podor

I picked up a WE 2500 that has a standard issue 3 conductor cord that is connected to a 153A Amphenol connector to the violet/slate pair. What would this be used for? It's from '74, so I was thinking it would be used on a 1A2 system. I was thinking it could be for a secretary or excluded line so the line could be cut off (excluded) during private conversations, but I would think that it would need A control, like a 2500M. Maybe an intercom, but most 1A2 intercom systems used buzzers. What do you think?

poplar1

Is it a 2500D? With a 3-conductor cord, it's possible that there were already 25-pair cables on site, and the installer used the 153A adapter to pick up a spare pair for this single line phone, which was not connected behind a 1A2 Key System but rather was just connected directly to a line.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

unbeldi

I believe that many 'modern' offices suites built out in the 60s and 70s were prewired with 25-pair cables to every room.  I once rented an entire office floor in an almost century-old building that was renovated in the 70s for a well-known architect and it had telco cable everywhere.  The 620 key system had been cut out by my time, and it was clear that a couple non-key telephones were directly connected to CO lines with such an adapter cord.

I used the adapter cord myself, actually, until I got the old key system rewired again and working (without any documentation, btw.)

podor

That makes sense. The good thing is that the cord is intact, since everything else is numbers matching. Most of the time, the phones in my price range are hacked/modified.

Babybearjs

I saw the phone on Ebay.... Interesting find....
John