"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Handset on Ebay with A Seller Warning

Started by LarryInMichigan, March 11, 2013, 10:40:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

ebay link

The seller had this listed as a $9.99 BIN, but with $12.35 for shipping.  I asked them if they would please ship it for the actual rate for 2 pounds, which is $8.19.  They insisted that the USPS website showed that shipping was $12, and I tried in vain to prove to them otherwise.  I even sent a screen shot of the USPS postage rates for a two pound package between Pompano Beach and here, but they claimed that they could not see it.  They then asked me to pay for the postage and email them a PDF file with the shipping label, and as soon as I agreed, they sent me an angry message complaining that I was nitpicking about the postage and that I should shop elsewhere.  I would probably want to avoid doing any business with this seller.

Larry

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: HarrySmith on March 11, 2013, 11:13:59 AM
It now says free shipping!

I know.  They added the original inflated shipping charge to the original BIN price.  The seller is not very cooperative, so I would advise avoiding him/her.

Here is the last message that the seller sent me:

QuoteToo late. I've decided to list it as shipping included. Thank you for your interest. Shop somewhere else please. I've already wasted too much time responding to your nit picking over USPS shipping fees. The price is non-negotiable. I suggest you troll garage sales and flea markets. You can haggle better there.

Am I wrong to ask a seller to pay the proper amount for shipping instead of 50% extra?

Larry

wds

Any time I see a shipping rate that is out of line I question them about it.  About half the time they lower the rate to the correct amount.  I think the shipping calcuator sometimes has problems - and I don't like paying any more than I have to.  The other half either doesn't respond, or I get responses similar to yours.  If shipping is too high I walk away from the listing.

It's too bad you can't block sellers llike you can block buyers.
Dave

LarryInMichigan

I have had a number of sellers who happily adjusted the shipping charge after I asked and at least a few who responded rudely, like this one.

I was thinking of buying this item to use the cord on my ivory 354, but now I do not trust the seller.

Larry

George Knighton

I think what happens is that we all just get spoiled at how easy it is to ship USPS Priority Mail because it's a flat rate and the boxes are free.

Annoying new poster.

George Knighton

There's a user here from whom a buy things sometimes, Vern P.

I'm usually very surprised at how much money he saves us both on shipping, and how much trouble he goes through with the packing, taping and labeling.

He goes through a lot of trouble, and I think that sort of service is generally uncommon in 2013.  :-)
Annoying new poster.

dpaynter1066

What many of them are doing is inflating the shipping price to bypass E bay listing fees.   It's a way to cheat both ebay and your self at the same time.

I have seen $100 dollar shipping fee attempts. Which were obviously no where near  the real rate.   I dont mind a modest handling fee for the box and tape and time, but when they try to gouge you for extra profit I report them to ebay.

wds

I thought that ebay seller fees were applied equally for the item and the shipping?  If so, it doesn't save any money to raise the shipping cost and lower the item cost.
Dave

HarrySmith

That is why eBay started applying final value fees to shipping!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

AE40FAN

Larry, I think that handset is painted....

TelePlay

Quote from: AE40FAN on March 13, 2013, 08:41:56 PM

. . . and the receiver cap is dinged (as seen in two of the listing photos). But, the cord looks like it's in great shape.

twocvbloke

You can actually report sellers for inflating postage prices, which impacts against their accounts, and if they keep doing it, they get kicked off ebay... :D

In the past I've pointed that out to some sellers, most just ignored my advice, others were surprised to learn that it wasn't allowed, it is amusing how people seem to be surprised that there are rules to be followed on ebay... :D

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: TelePlay on March 13, 2013, 08:50:14 PM
Quote from: AE40FAN on March 13, 2013, 08:41:56 PM

. . . and the receiver cap is dinged (as seen in two of the listing photos). But, the cord looks like it's in great shape.

I know that the handset is painted, but I really wanted the cord.  Does anyone have any ivory cloth cords to sell?  The coiled ones from OPW are quite expensive.

Larry

Greg G.

Quote from: wds on March 13, 2013, 10:39:53 AM
I thought that ebay seller fees were applied equally for the item and the shipping?  If so, it doesn't save any money to raise the shipping cost and lower the item cost.

That's correct, for the very reason dpaynter1066 said.  Many sellers were abusing the shipping charges to bypass the ebay final value fees, so ebay changed it.  Now the final value fee is based on both the sale price and shipping charges.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e