News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

US 127 Yardsale Finds

Started by benhutcherson, August 09, 2009, 11:58:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

benhutcherson

Every year, in early August, there is a massive yardsale along US Route 127, from Ohio all the way down to Alabama.

Fortunately, US 127 passes right here through Frankfort, and I spent several hours Thursday(first official day) combing about a ten mile stretch between Frankfort and neighboring Lawrenceburg. I found a lot of phones, most of them not spectacular and horribly overpriced. I did, however, come home with two(along with way too many other things).

The first was found at the first sale I stopped at, one fairly far off the beatin' path. I managed to negotiate the price down to $23, which I feel is fair given that we don't see too many around here.

Yes, it's rough, and has the most unusual combination of feet I've seen(2 leather, 1 felt, 1 rubber). It's a nice '39 dated base, though.

The second telephone was at the last sale I stopped at-a large church parking that rented out space. The person selling it had it on a $5 table, along with several other phones, none of any real value.

I spotted the soft center fingerwheel, and the 10/54 bottom date, and got excited. Unfortunately, my excitement was short lived, after I noticed the tapered handset cord restraint and 7-hole earpiece. Still, it's a solid phone, and I've seen soft center fingerwheels bring more than that.

Besides that, I can't pass up a $5 500.

benhutcherson

A few snips with some wire cutters, and some Novus #2, and the Northern Electric turns into a really nice looking phone without too much work

It still needs some attention, but looks a whole lot better to my eye. The handset, in particular, shined up really nicely-far nicer than a bakelite handset usually does.

Dan

I was originally born and raised on 127 in Hamilton Ohio. I did a few yard sales on that stretch too. My wife actually found a longaberger basket for 50 cents! I didn't do well on any phones. I got a rare soft white from Craigslist off route 127 , so your find brought back some good memories
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Dennis Markham

Ben, I was reading about that U.S. 127 yard sale.  I would love to travel down to Ohio and work my way southward.  I stumbled on the web site the night before it started.  It looks like you did OK.  You already fixed up that N.E. and that 500 should clean up nicely.  You're right, it's difficult to pass up a $5 phone.

Here's the web site:

http://www.127sale.com/

Dan

I believe white wasn't offered as a colour until 1957, and the underside of your dial  is a 3 which indicates it may have been black back in 1954. What is the date of your housing?
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

benhutcherson

Quote from: Dan on August 10, 2009, 12:12:08 AMWhat is the date of your housing?

'67. It's definitely hard plastic through and through.

Dan

Still a great find for $5. I love all the soft centered ones, hard or soft plastic.

bingster

Nice finds, Ben.  I've wanted to drive out for that sale for years.
= DARRIN =