News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

5304C Party Line Phone

Started by zaphod01, May 05, 2013, 10:44:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zaphod01

Got this for $20.30 and hoped for the best. Knew it was a party line phone. Didn't expect it to ring and wasn't disappointed. Downloaded the appropriate BSP from the TCI library and explored my options. Followed a couple of connections and discovered it was still wired as a party line phone and knew it would never ring as configured.

It was a MAJOR adventure but I reconnected all the wires to 'individual or bridged' as per the BSP. Closed it up and IT RANG!

Base was dated 11/48. Body was dated 7 11 62. This is the newest body I've ever seen on a 5302/5304.

I was really surprised to see one dated 1962. Anyone know when they quit making 5302 cases?
"Things are never so bad they can't be made worse." - Humphrey Bogart

poplar1

At the Western Electric shop in Atlanta, they stopped reissuing 5302s in 1965, according to a foreman at that location. These housings were also made without Bell markings and these may have been made later.  Anyone have one later than 1962?
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

WesternElectricBen

Can you link me the bsp because my 5302 doesn't ring...

Thanks
Ben

poplar1

Ben, the 5304 and 5302 have different ringers. The ringer in a 5302 should be wired just like the one in a 302. For non-party lines, connect your ringer as follows:

Red ringer wire to L1
Black ringer wire to K
Slate condenser wire to K
Yellow condenser wire to L2Y

Also, make sure the biasing spring is in the middle slot or the slot closest to the front of the phone.

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: poplar1 on May 05, 2013, 11:08:18 AM
Ben, the 5304 and 5302 have different ringers. The ringer in a 5302 should be wired just like the one in a 302. For non-party lines, connect your ringer as follows:

Red ringer wire to L1
Black ringer wire to K

Also, make sure the biasing spring is in the middle slot or the slot closest to the front of the phone.

Thank you very much, I'l have to try this this afternoon!

zaphod01

I have two 5302's and neither rang upon arrival. Both had the red ringer wire attched to GND. Moved the wire to L1 and both now ring.

I had a run of three phones that arrived with the ringers defeated. Not sure why but maybe I got a better price because they were listed as 'untested'. That's eBayspeak for 'doesn't ring'.
"Things are never so bad they can't be made worse." - Humphrey Bogart

poplar1

Most 302s, other than the early ones with 2-conductor mounting cords, have either the black or red ringer lead on GND. These sets could be used on individual line or party lines. On party lines, the yellow mounting cord wire was connected at the wall to the yellow inside wire which connected to ground at the protector outside or in the basement. On individual lines, the the red and yellow wires were connected to the same screw at the wall.

It is usually best to connect the ringer as stated in the reply above if you are using a half-modular cord (spade tips on the phone end and modular plug on the other).  Connect the incoming line red wire to L1 and green wire to L2. This is because you can't connect the yellow and red (or yellow and green for a 500)  together at the wall. (For some unknown reason, WE changed L1 to green and L2 to red in the 500 set.)

5302Gs and later reissues of 302s usually have the red ringer wire on L1 and only the yellow mounting cord wire connected to GND inside the set, unless they were used on party lines. In that case, you don't have to change any ringer wiring when changing the original mounting cord to a half-modular one.

This later wiring can be seen in the TCI library in Table B of BSP 502-400-401i2:

http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php/document-repository/doc_details/2791-502-400-401-i2-telephone-sets-302e-g

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: poplar1 on May 05, 2013, 11:08:18 AM

Red ringer wire to L1
Black ringer wire to K

I do not see a k termainal.

poplar1

K is next to GND. Probably already has a slate condenser wire and a ringer wire connected to it.