News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Here is my AE-80 (I think)

Started by TonSpa, August 02, 2014, 08:22:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TonSpa

I believe this is a AE-80 but I am not total sure. I did find out since I been on here that it has a frequency ringer and that is the reason why I could never get the darn thing to ring.
Anthony

LarryInMichigan

That is indeed an AE80.  Since the ringer is tuned to 30Hz which is not terribly far from the normal North American ringing frequency 20Hz, you might be able to coax a ring out of it by moving the clapper outward.

Larry

TelePlay

Interesting, about the ringer. I have several ring generators. Some produce 30 Hz, others produce 20 Hz. Both will ring straight line ringers. Is a 30 Hz frequency ringer that specific or sensitive that it would not work on a POTS line?

LarryInMichigan

I doubt that a 30Hz ringer will do more that wiggle a bit with a standard 20Hz ring signal.  Moving the clapper/weight outward will lower the natural frequency a bit which should help.  Increasing the capacitance (adding another capacitor in parallel with the existing one) may also help.  At any rate, finding a spare SL ringer for an AE80 should not be very difficult.

Larry

unbeldi

Quote from: TelePlay on August 02, 2014, 11:07:35 PM
Interesting, about the ringer. I have several ring generators. Some produce 30 Hz, others produce 20 Hz. Both will ring straight line ringers. Is a 30 Hz frequency ringer that specific or sensitive that it would not work on a POTS line?

Straight line ringers have a much broader response curve than harmonic or other frequency selective ringers.
This is from my measurements of three common SL ringer types, the red curves represent ringing performance and we see that they respond well from 15 Hz to over 30 Hz:

(originally posted here: http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=11948.msg126966#msg126966)

Frequency ringers on the other hand typically have less than a +/-5 Hz range.

PS: The graph doesn't display well when using a link, so it's best to visit the topic and click on the graphs there.

stub

Anthony,
              You can find a ringer on e-bay. I sent you a PM.   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

TonSpa

Thank you all for your info. I just love the knowledge in here  :)
Anthony