News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

1980s Television Experts:

Started by WEBellSystemChristian, March 12, 2015, 03:32:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WEBellSystemChristian

Is a 1985 Goldstar valuable at all? I found this one while looking through some stuff at my Grandma's house.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

WesternElectricBen

I don't think it has much value..

If I remember correctly, GoldStar is a part of LG.

Ben

Worth recycling. The thrift shops don't even want them. Sorry to burst your bubble.  :(

LG those letters didn't always stand for "Life's Good." Rather, the company formerly known as Lucky-Goldstar used to be synonymous with el cheapo bargain basement goods.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LG_Corporation

andre_janew

Most people want a flat screen TV nowadays.  A 1985 set would need a converter box at the very least.  Very few people would want a TV that can't receive digital signals.

Doug Rose

Mine only gets one picture, but I love it  8)....Doug
Kidphone

unbeldi

Quote from: andre_janew on March 12, 2015, 07:15:00 PM
Most people want a flat screen TV nowadays.  A 1985 set would need a converter box at the very least.  Very few people would want a TV that can't receive digital signals.

Isn't that equivalent to saying...

Most people want a smart phone nowadays. A 302 set would need a pulse-to-tone converter at the very least. Very few people want a telephone that can't receive caller ID.

But seriously, it was only a few years ago that I took one of these to the curb.

twocvbloke

Stick it on ebay with Amiga, Atari, Sega, Nintendo, Commodore, etc., in the title, there's always someone with old computers & consoles like those that want a suitable vintage TV to go with it... :)

WEBellSystemChristian

Thanks for the replies, guys! I had a feeling it wouldn't be valuable, but I wanted to get an opinion from my educated friends, rather than have it thrown away without knowing whether it was collectible or not.

I might hang onto it if I ever get it in my possession. T.Vs like this might become one of those things that are sought after because people remember them from their childhood.
Christian Petterson

twocvbloke

I've wanted to have a TV with knobs on, but, all I have to do is put Top Gear on and I have what I want... ;D

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: twocvbloke on March 12, 2015, 08:57:57 PM
I've wanted to have a TV with knobs on, but, all I have to do is put Top Gear on and I have what I want... ;D
That couldn't have been put better!!! ;D
Christian Petterson

andre_janew

The difference between the 302 and a 1985 TV is that the 302 will still work when plugged into a POTS line and the 1985 TV will probably give you nothing but static.

Mr. Bones

It seems like a perfectly valuable addition to a garage, mancave, etc., to me.

What do I know? I collect old phones, radios, and more. ;)

I used a 13" TG&Y B/W that was my grandma's for many years, until it finally gave out. It served double-duty as a monitor for a TI99/4A, and later, triple tasked to my CoCo 2. I just switched from antenna to puters as desired, pretty high-tech redneck at the time. 8)

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

andre_janew

Maybe there's an old VCR and some working tapes around somewhere.  Put all those together and you might have something!

Greg G.

Quote from: andre_janew on March 12, 2015, 07:15:00 PM

I guess we're one of the few.  We don't watch much TV, mostly DVDs via Netflix.  We still use a hand-me-down tube TV I got from a friend years ago, it works for us.  As long as tube TVs can still be found dirt-cheap in thrift stores, we see no need and have no desire to spend several hundred dollars on a flat screen TV. 
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

twocvbloke

My Samsung T27B550 Smart TV (flatscreen, LCD, LED backlit, etc.) is mostly used as a computer monitor, Playstation display and occasionally a TV (be it live digital blockiness or streamed low-def rubbish), it's an all your eggs in one basket solution though, so I am on the lookout for another to separate out the computer monitor part... :)

But that said, we do have a tube TV in the house (two infact, the other's a 14" VHS combi portable), it's widescreen 26" (I think) 100Hz Samsung, was left in the house by the previous occupants, I asked for it to be left and it was, works nicely, but needs a Freeview box (our "digital converters", but the Digital service brandname is called  Freeview, cos it's free, apart from the boxes) but does nicely with that anyway, it's just not used because there's a dirty great 50" warp plasma TV in it's way that saps up too much electricity for my liking, but the CRT TV is there incase the plasma goes pop (again!!)...  ;D

Thinking about it, I have a short clip of it playing Top Gear shortly after we moved into this house, I love it cos it's flicker free being a 100Hz telly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6cfUk_RHgo

Kept it unlisted 'cos of it playing Top Gear on Dave, yes, we have a TV channel called Dave, and no I don't know why!! ;D