News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

1948 Western Electric 305

Started by WesternElectricBen, April 03, 2015, 04:18:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WesternElectricBen

I recently restored my most recent purchase: a 1948 WE 305 set. The 305 means that it has the ringer cut-off function, governed by the small dial on the base.

For the restoration, I buffed the body with S.S.S and Novus. The handset was incredibly dull before, so I spent much time at the bench grinder to get a nice sheen. Unfortunately, I was unable to get off the paint specs as you can see in the last image. Additionally, I was glad to find that it is completely dates matching.

Overview and Demonstration video: (not yet uploaded)

Ben

Russ Kirk

- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

Doug Rose

Ben...superb job!!! I always get the paint of with brasso, the tough ones I let some goo be gone sit on them overnight. I use a Q-tip to apply. A fingernail does work wonders after the goo be gone. You have done an exceptional job on the 305, one of my favorite phones...Doug
Kidphone

WesternElectricBen

Thank you, both!

Those are some good tips, Doug. I must try them on several phones I have with the paint spatters.

Ben

Doug Rose

Ben....from experience, you can always get the paint spatter off without damage. Sometimes it take a LOT of patience. Really Nice!...Doug
Kidphone

WEBellSystemChristian

Very nice, Ben!!!

You should try some Brasso on the fingerstop; you wouldn't believe the gunk that comes off after Brasso-ing it. Think about it: 67 years of skin oil hitting that thing!
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Doug Rose

Fine steel wool along with Brasso does a number on a dirty fingerstop. It will look good as new..Doug
Kidphone

WesternElectricBen

Thank you,

I actually know about using brasso on the finger stops, though I ran out of it. The next shipment should be coming in the next day or so.

Ben