News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric D1/F1 - Some Kind of Network

Started by Dennis Markham, April 13, 2009, 12:16:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis Markham

My latest project finds me tearing apart a D1/F1 for a fellow in the Boston area.  I started tearing it down earlier tonight.  I always like to photograph my way through it as I go.  The cords appeared to be original and not in that bad of condition.  The handset cord is frayed where it enters the handset but I think I'll be able to pull it in, moving the strain relief hook.  The material is a soft silk type.  However the mounting cord is a 2 conductor.  Since the cloth casing is rather loose I think someone slid at least one other conductor out of the casing.

As I tore it apart tonight I was a little surprised when I removed the bottom and something wrapped in electrical tape fell out from inside.  It appears to be some type of network which explains the two conductor (red/green) mounting cord.  It was modified to plug into a phone jack.  The guy also sent me the ringer box for this phone although it was not connected.  I tore out the "network" and will wire it to the ringer box as it should be.

The surface of the base is not that nice.  The paint has corroded and I'm not sure yet just how that will be corrected.  I didn't plan on painting it, just clean and polish.

Another interesting point so far has been the dial card.  When I removed it from the retainer ring I discovered it has a dial mask.  I have a couple of those in color from the Continental phones but have never seen a black one (that I remember).  So this phone appears original except for the network.  Although the strain relief hooks do not have dates on them so they cannot be original.

You electrical guys, tell me what you think about the network, please.  I'd be interested to learn about it.

bingster

That's the standard mini-network that OPW and phonecoinc sell.  There are instructions in the TCI library for wiring one of these into a 202 base.  Does the ringer box not have a network installed in it?  I'd be tempted to just chuck a 101A in the ringer box, myself.  Trying to figure out how to connect a mounting cord to this one, rather than having it wired in the base, would probably be a bear.
= DARRIN =

Dennis Markham

You know,  haven't even unwrapped the ringer box yet.  It's still got a mountain of bubble wrap around it.  Perhaps in the next day or so.  I didn't plan to reconnect the mini-network.  I'm hoping the box has all the needed parts.  I'll know more when I open it up.  I have a spare 101a if needed.  I thought that might be one of those mini-networks, but I've never seen one before.  Does this thing make a ringing sound or is it simply there to allow for a dial tone without damaging the components?

bingster

No ringer on this one. It wasn't until the later mini-networks for candlesticks that a warbler was thought of.  This one only is strictly a network.

I remember reading what these things were made for, but I can't for the life of me think of it now.  Something like a trimline clone by one of the independents, AE maybe.  Whatever they were for, they must have made millions of extras, because everybody has these things for sale.
= DARRIN =

Dennis Markham

Thanks for the info.  I have never seen one before.  Whoever put it in wrapped a yard of electrical tape around it.

BDM

Bing covered that. I've run into them, just not connected to any phones I've owned or own.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Dan/Panther

My A.E. pay phone has one in it like that one you posted Dennis, and the pay phone doesn't ring. I've not looked in to why yet, waiting for a booth.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

rp2813

Back when I had a 202 but no bell box, I had one of these networks installed.  This would have been in the early 80's.  Once I got the right vintage subset, I pulled out the network.  Not sure if I even still have it.  Same deal, black tape all around it.

Ralph
Ralph