News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

1966 WE 500 in pink arrives

Started by McHeath, April 29, 2009, 08:01:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis Markham

Heath, how much and what kind of damage did your 1954 500 sustain?  Can it be repaired?  I just don't understand how people can package so poorly that a piece of history like that can get broken.  Grrrrr......

HobieSport

Quote from: Dennis Markham
I just don't understand how people can package so poorly that a piece of history like that can get broken.  Grrrrr......

I've gotten into the habit of always politely requesting that the seller/shipper separate the handset from the body, wrap both in bubble wrap taped lightly, and pack it tightly all around with peanuts. They are usually grateful for the advice so they don't have to worry about damage, and after about fifty phones, I've never received one with any shipping mishaps.  I also add the note that "It would be a pity that a phone that has survived for so long be damaged in shipping".  It's just that some well intentioned folks simply don't know how best to ship these heavy yet somewhat fragile old phones.  Anyway, it works for me. :)

McHeath

It cracked the shell clean in two right below the dial bezel.  Must have taken a good hit to do that.  Probably fixable with some glue, sanding, and polishing, but it may still show up. 

I like Hobiesport's idea of what to tell the shipper and will borrow it. 

The G1 handset of this broken 54' has certainly decayed over time, it's in terrible shape, all the smooth finish is gone and it's very rough.  Doesn't look like this phone was used a lot just that it probably sat in a garage/barn/ type setting and got rusty, bugs moved in, and the handset weathered.  Luckily the handset cord is okay, I cleaned it up tonight and it looks good. 

HobieSport

Quote from: McHeath
I like Hobiesport's idea of what to tell the shipper and will borrow it. 

Heck, you can have it. ;D  I just see no reason for careless or ineffective shipping, when the good shipping techniques are just so simple and easy when one knows how.  It always makes me sad to see any phone get damaged. :'(

Ellen

Quote from: McHeath on April 30, 2009, 08:43:15 PM
avocado green is not really all that exciting. 

I like my avocado/moss green.  It looks so normal.

McHeath

Ay, different strokes for different folks on color.  Avocado was hugely popular in 73' when my parents bought a new ranch style house, they could have the interior colors in either Harvest Gold or Avocado Green and they went with the gold while the house next door was the green, and I must admit they were both pretty cool looking. 

So I must retract my Avocado is not very exciting statement and repent in sackcloth and ashes. 

HobieSport

BTW I started a new thread about color in phones in general here:

http://tinyurl.com/cmpcd3

:)-Matt

McHeath

Well here are the pics of the black 1954 500 that looks like it was living in a barn for the last 40 years.  Nassssttyyy phoneeess, as Gollum would say. 

The broken case can probably be an easy fix with glue and sanding a bit.

The bug parts and mud dabbers nests mean that at the moment this phone is living in the garage. 

HobieSport

Actually McHeath I think that particular 500 was Gollum's original phone.  He used it in his cave to harass Bilbo about that pesky precious at inconvenient wee hours.  It also looks as if it fell into Mount Doom.  However...

A little elbow grease and... :)

Sargeguy

Ouch!  My 305 that I won for $28 arrived with a chunk missing from the back.  It was packed loosely with about 2 square feet of bubble wrap.  I was pretty P.O.'d. 
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

HobieSport

I bought a good phone today for a good price and sent the usual message to the seller, politely requesting how I would like it packaged.  He wrote me right back and thanked me, saying that he was glad that I bought the phone, even though he was hoping for a better price, because he could tell that I cared about it enough to request the good packaging and it was going to a good home.  But he's a phone guy so he "knows". But I get the same reaction from sellers who know nothing about phones.  They are glad to learn how best to package it.

I'm repeating myself here, but darn it, it works! :)

http://www.paul-f.com/SaveThePhones/

McHeath

Yeah I'm going to use your packing speech on my next e-bay bag.  Maybe it will stop the inflow of broken history that I am having all too often. 

On a side note, the straight cord that I wanted off the beater 54' 500 turned out to have serious problems.  The wires had high resistance and the black had an internal break.  So, I mulled about what to do and ended up pulling the wires out of the cord jacket and replacing them with new wires.  When the old wires came out I found several places where they had corroded through, looked like moisture got in there, hence the problems.  When pulling them out the wires broke off right in the middle and I figured the deal was done, but my 16 year old came up with a method of using a coat hanger to push the wires out of the jacket so the day was saved.  After putting the new wires in, and replacing the clips and grommet, it's as good as new and no one can tell the difference. 

Now my 51' looks pretty sleek, sporting a straight handset cord. 

Bill Cahill

Actually, I love baby blue.
But, Oh, Pepto Bismol pink! I'll say it's in very nice shape. Congrats.  But, that pink..Oh......
:-X Bill Cahill  ;D

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

HobieSport

Bill please feel free to send any and all pink phones to me.  I also prefer the baby blue but the pink ones may be handy for attracting the pretty womens. 8)

Ellen

If I can paint it mahogany, I will go for your pink phone.  Just line them up on the windowsill and the wimmins will come running.