News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

The Juno Lamp

Started by Bill, August 18, 2015, 01:31:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill

Moderator, feel free to remove this if it is too far "off topic".

I bought this kerosene lamp at a barn sale the other day. My initial intent was simply to flip it, but the more I look at it, the more I love it, so I just may keep it. I'm looking for any information from our resident lamp-o-philes. Is there a kerosene lamp discussion group out there somewhere?

As you can see from the pictures, it is very tall - 34 inches overall. The chimney itself is 14 inches tall, in proper proportion to the body of the lamp. The body is all ornate patterned cast metal except for a marble column in the center. There was no wick in it when I bought it, and just enough soot on the burner parts to show that it has been used. The fuel tank is shiny brass, and lifts out from the body. The fuel cap is embossed with a floral center medallion, and the words "Made In The United States of America" in block letters. Opposite the filler cap, the words "The Juno Lamp - Made in USA" are embossed in flowery script. And on the burner cap are the letters "EM&C" in very flowery script. The pictures tell the rest of the story. Who knows what I have?

Bill

NorthernElectric

Cliff

Bill

Incidentally, for the radio collectors here: The lamp is sitting on a Polle Royal radio, made by the Royal Radio Co in Providence, RI in about 1925. It is by far the rarest radio in my diminishing collection. After several months of research and postings on the antique radio newsgroups, I did not find even one other Polle Royal in the floor model configuration, and only one in a desktop (coffin case) configuration. The radio circuit is unremarkable - a 5 tube TRF. But it has an internal wooden horn Utah speaker, gold-leaf dial numbers, and a reverse-painted pair of Birds of Paradise on the front. And it works!

Bill

twocvbloke

Looks like a mantelless lamp that produces a surprising amount of light (based on similar lamps I have seen on youtube), only issue is finding the right wick for it, but the many search engines on the web are your friend in that instance, it's how I managed to learn about my Aladdin lamp before buying it... :)