News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

U.A.D.C. LTD. Temple Chambers E.C.4. Bakelite Opera Glasses / Binoculars

Started by ....., October 13, 2015, 02:57:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I picked up these U.A.D.C. LTD. Temple Chambers E.C.4. Bakelite Opera Glasses / Binoculars at a local thrift store last Friday for fifty cents.
I have no idea what U.A.D.C. LTD. stands for. When I did a Google search there were a few of these on eBay, but nothing on the Company.
Most of the eBay ads put them from the 1930s or 40s.

TelePlay

Well, this is all new to me but doing a bit of searching led me to a supposition.

While I have not found any good reference to UADC, the LTD after it made me think British and EC4 is the postal code for downtown, old London - which has plenty of theaters and the Royal Opera House, from maps provided on the internet. Then there was a reference to the first Masonic Temple being sited there in 1717 but no longer in existence. There might have been a replacement I can't find.

That's about where I gave up looking. Maybe someone over there, twocvbloke, might shed more light on this. And the history of what seems to be a market flooded with these - see  below.

Then, again, my supposition could be totally off base. Anyone think anything else?

Also, eBay, etsy, Worthpoint and a lot of auction house sites have/had these for sale and I think the highest price I saw paid was about $25 plus $15 shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Masonic-Temple-Chambers-1930s-Bakelite-Binoculars-UADC-LTD-/201380863470

Don't seem to be as rare as some claim. Some even came with red cloth bags to hold/protect them

twocvbloke

When it comes to london, being a northerner myself, I've not got much knowledge about the buildings past or present in the city of london, I understand the postcodes relate to the location (EC4 being East-Central section 4), but as to what was or is there, haven't a clue, sorry... ???

No matter how I look at it, 0.50 cents was a good deal for me. They look good on the shelf with the old phones. Hopefully someone will come up with an answer.  :)

david@london

i remember these opera glasses very well.
they were, and i believe still are, available to use for a small charge in london theatres.
they are contained in a coin-operated metal holder on the back of the seat in front of you.
i would guess that this universal design would date from the 1960s or maybe late 50s....though most of the ads for them state 30s/40s so i might be way off.

UADC ltd would be the supplier, based in Temple Chambers, a building in Temple Ave, in the Temple district of central london, which takes its name from the Temple Church.

teleplay, there is a huge Masonic HQ, Freemasons' Hall, in covent garden.

autonut.......50 cents seems like a pretty good bargain for these. i recall that the price for using them in the 1960s was one shilling (1/-).

Thanks David for the information. It helped clear the mystery up.

Doug

david@london

i found an image of this older set at the-saleroom.com.....

Pair of brass extending binoculars marked 'Property of U.A.D.C Ltd, 9 Long Acre W.C.2 £5 to £25 will be paid for information leading to conviction of persons found in unlawful possession of these glasses'.

Quote from: david@london on October 15, 2015, 07:35:55 AM
i found an image of this older set at the-saleroom.com.....

Pair of brass extending binoculars marked 'Property of U.A.D.C Ltd, 9 Long Acre W.C.2 £5 to £25 will be paid for information leading to conviction of persons found in unlawful possession of these glasses'.

Does this mean that I can expect a London Bobbie at my door for being in possession of the pair I have?  ;D

I'll pleat the fifth.....   :-X

TelePlay

Quote from: Autonut on October 14, 2015, 08:35:32 PM
Thanks David for the information. It helped clear the mystery up.

Yes, thanks David. At least I got the postal code right. I see the older set above is WC2 so that would be West Central Section 2? When searching, I did find a reference or two to the Knights Templar but thought that might be way too old of a reference to "Temple" in the description. However, it makes sense if an area of London was designated as such for that reason. Good to know we have you and your knowledge of London to better understand the original question. The big question seems to be what is or was U.A.D.C. which must have been a big "company" to have made and placed so many of these glasses.

19and41

That was a long way to run to make off with those.   ;D  I wonder if they were able to at least pay for themselves before they were taken away?
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

TelePlay

I think the company is UAD Company Ltd but can find nothing about it. However, the current opera glass rental operation is run by the London Opera Glass Company and everything you wanted to know about them is at their web site.

http://www.operaglasses.co.uk/ourservice.html

The glasses they provide are similar to the "older" and rare glasses found in great quantity on eBay and other such sites but different just a bit to make them their own.

Thanks John,

Maybe there is a possibly that the Company name was changed to suit the times?

Doug