News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

stromberg carlson 1243 - dial tone, but nothing else

Started by goamules, October 08, 2014, 09:29:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

unbeldi

You said in your first post that you got dial tone but could not hear your voice.

Does this phone have a two-step hookswitch ?  With this feature, users on party-line telephones could only listen to find out if the line was being used, and if not, they had to push down on a plate between the two hookswitch plungers to activate the transmitter and dial.

goamules

I sure appreciate all your help.  I will call you all personally, on this phone, if we can get it to work!

It does that the other switch, the pushplate between the two handset buttons.  Hmmm... I better play with it a little more.  I did get one ringer deflection a couple times, when I was answering and playing with the two different switches.  Not a jangle....just one movement of the clapper.  Tells me it's close to working. 

I'm going to wire the ringer both on the one side, like suggested above.  Then play with the hooksw. 

dsk

Quote from: goamules on October 09, 2014, 05:03:43 PM
I'm happy to show any pictures you need.  Both below.  DSK, I show all the straps in place on the left side that your schematic shows, both phones.  No straps on either phone on right side.  They are consistent, as is my symptoms.  As far as applying different Freqs, miliamps, etc....I don't have a bench, and haven't done electronics in 25 years.  So the simpler the better.  I could hook up the transmit-receive in series, and appy a 3VDC batter, if that's what you mean.  So center connector to center to positive, then outside connector (body) to outside to negative?  Right?

Hi due to the time difference I see this are mainly said already, but the upper ringer with a great heavy hammer are frequency sensitive, the lower looks like a regular one.
The strapping c1-c2 makes the capacitor value more suitable to drive this old ringermotor.
The telephone line has to be connected to terminals L1 and L2. A connection between L2 and G are needed for ringing.

Regarding testing, sounds right

|---------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                                                                 |
  |------------ battery -----transmitter------receiver---------------------|

polarities does not matter 3-4.5V battery will be OK!

dsk

goamules

OK, I'm getting somewhere!  I took the non-freq ringer out of the other parts phone, and put it in the good one.  Then I realized I had the wiring all messed up.  I wired the line in and handset correctly, and it rings, dials, and mostly works! 

Now I realize you have to have the handset and both receive/transmit elements in place for the phone to work. As I was messing with the handset connectors, cleaning and bending them to touch the elements good, I had good, loud volume.  And I could hear myself talk.  But it was scratchy connections with a lot of noise.  I kept playing with them, bending and cleaning, getting a lot of pops out of it.  But now, the volume is very low, and I cannot hear myself.  Nor can I hear someone I call, but they can hear me.  Did I blow the receiver?  I can still hear a dial tone, just quiet. 

goamules

Disregard about the weak sound, I fixed it.  I had used some steel wool (stupid in electronics, I know) to clean the handset spring connections, I think the magnets attracted some of the fibers, causing some problems.  I blew it all out and it works. 

The only thing left is horrible static/noise.  I've sprayed contact cleaner/lube on all the moving parts and contacts.  Still very noisy.  Thanks for all your help, I'm almost there!

tallguy58

That static noise, I find, is a result of old handset cords. I've had many exhibit the same symptoms.

Cheers........Bill

dsk

Quote from: goamules on October 10, 2014, 08:31:26 PM
Disregard about the weak sound, I fixed it.  I had used some steel wool (stupid in electronics, I know) to clean the handset spring connections, I think the magnets attracted some of the fibers, causing some problems.  I blew it all out and it works. 

The only thing left is horrible static/noise.  I've sprayed contact cleaner/lube on all the moving parts and contacts.  Still very noisy.  Thanks for all your help, I'm almost there!

Congratulations! close to goal!

Now to the collectors tricks
The transmitter (microphone ) contains granulated carborn, they may need some shaking to get rid of lumps. The drawback may be a diaphragm which are not extremely solid, so be careful.
The shaking should be like rolling the transmitter over an uneven surface, whatever you have.

Still you will have some statics, this may be considerably redused by putting a resistor across the transmitter, the easiest t may be to put it on the terminations on the network block 8-10
220-330 ohms will do this OK

dsk