News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Should I be concerned

Started by Kenny C, April 11, 2010, 02:13:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kenny C

Here recently we bought some new telephones, I mean new ones not new old ones. and I went to dial with my rotary while my sister was on the other line and it wouldn't break dial tone. Is this a problem because i never noticed this with our other cordless. Is it a problem with my wiring or just one that cant be fixed.
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Dan/Panther

I have had that happen sometimes, if two phones are going to be used in a common conversation, with a third party,  only one can be off the hook until the third parties phone starts to ring. I don't know why but it happens,.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Kenny C

In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

paul-f

How is your house wired for two line service?

Check to make sure the two lines are electrically seperated and that each phone you use only has two conductors connected in the line cord.  Some older phones used 3 and need to be rewired.

For many years, we had 2 lines wired using standard 4 conductor inside wire and had no problems with a wide range of phones and modems connected to both lines.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Kenny C

the phone guy said that we could wire as many cords off of the box as we needed
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Dan/Panther

It was not a matter of how many phones you had, but you couldn't have two off the hook at the same time and dial a number, in my case it wouldn't dial.
Just try it. I just tried it on thew two phones on my desk, with both off of the hook, I could not break dial tone, when I hung one up, it worked fine. That has been the norm for as long as I can remember. I wish I had a dime for each time I said; "Please hang up the phone, until I tell dial the number."
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Kenny C

Quote from: Dan/Panther on April 11, 2010, 03:55:59 PM
It was not a matter of how many phones you had, but you couldn't have two off the hook at the same time and dial a number, in my case it wouldn't dial.
Just try it. I just tried it on thew two phones on my desk, with both off of the hook, I could not break dial tone, when I hung one up, it worked fine. That has been the norm for as long as I can remember. I wish I had a dime for each time I said; "Please hang up the phone, until I tell dial the number."
D/P

if I had a dime for every time i said that i would have enough to buy everyone a set of colored 302's
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Phonesrfun

Kenny:

Nothing is wrong.  Rotary dials break the line with every pulse.  When someone else is on the line, that other phone holds the line from being pulsed.

Back before there was touch tone, this was always the case.  Now, with touch tone, the tones determine the number dialed and they can dial right through when another phone is off hook.

You just aren't old enough to have experienced rotary-only dialing.
-Bill G

paul-f

Quote from: Kennyc1955 on April 11, 2010, 02:13:14 PM
Here recently we bought some new telephones, I mean new ones not new old ones. and I went to dial with my rotary while my sister was on the other line and it wouldn't break dial tone. Is this a problem because i never noticed this with our other cordless. Is it a problem with my wiring or just one that cant be fixed.

Ah.  You have one party service, not two seperate lines.  Your sister was on another phone on the same line.  I believe that situation has been well covered.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

LarryInMichigan

The solution clearly is to prohibit your sister for using the phone line :D

Jim Stettler

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on April 11, 2010, 04:22:39 PM
The solution clearly is to prohibit your sister for using the phone line :D

I leased a spare 500 to my older sister for $10.00. Mom made me loan one to my
little sister tho.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

DANIELPHONEFREAK