News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

$12 Panasonic 308, part missing.

Started by Greg G., February 14, 2014, 05:00:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

Saw this for cheap at Goodwill and grabbed it.  It didn't power up when I got it home, so I compared it to the working 308 I have, apparently it's missing part #P01H-F2G1.  I hope that's not hard to find, otherwise I'm stuck with a prop.  Looks like you would have to dismantle it to get it off, there's no cut wires that I can see.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

WesternElectricBen

Good deal, I'm sure that part won't be much of an issue finding, it pretty much works as the battery backup. I think..

Ben

LarryInMichigan

That's just a rechargeable battery pack.  If you need one, you should be able to get one at any battery store or Radio Shack if you want to pay way too much.

Larry

HarrySmith

Mine does not have the battery in it but it works fine without it.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Phonesrfun

The battery just saves custom settings and the clock settings.  It should work even without the battery.  You might want to open it up and see if a fuse on the power supply board is blown or something simple like that.
-Bill G

Greg G.

Quote from: Phonesrfun on February 14, 2014, 05:37:00 PM
The battery just saves custom settings and the clock settings.  It should work even without the battery.  You might want to open it up and see if a fuse on the power supply board is blown or something simple like that.

Is there an easy way to get a look at the insides?  I see at least six screws that appear to be holding it together.  That battery wasn't hard to find, but it's supposed to be attached to a plug that's also missing, hopefully it's inside the unit.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

JorgeAmely

Jorge

twocvbloke

The battery can be replaced easily:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/270561796562

The power issue though, well, could be anything, could be anything from a break in the power cable to a cracked main board... :-\

Doug Rose

Seems strange it would not power up with out the battery backup as that only keeps the programming. I run my 616 at default so the battery to me doesn't matter. Is it still strapped even thought the battery is gone? Remove the strap if it is.  Hopefully its not a deeper issue....Doug
Kidphone

Greg G.

Quote from: Phonesrfun on February 14, 2014, 05:37:00 PM

I opened it up and it appears the problem may be one of 2 fuses that I found (the one on the left).  I did not find the plug that the little battery is supposed to attach to, but apparently that's not critical for basic settings.

I hope these fuses aren't hard to find.  The one on the left appears it may be bad, but I'll replace both of them anyway.  If it doesn't work after that, I'm not going to mess with it any further, it'll have to go to e-waste, unless somebody wants it for parts.
- Mike Row
e

Doug Rose

Archie Bunker used to put a penny in the fuse box, by passing the fuse. Yes ...it was a huge fire hazard "you meathead you."

In the same spirit, just wrap the fuse with wire and see if it fires up. Betcha it will. Hey Edit'....how bout a beer over here.....Doug
Kidphone

LarryInMichigan

Fuses shouldn't be hard to find at a hardware or electronics store.

Larry

Greg G.

Quote from: Doug Rose on February 16, 2014, 04:01:10 PM
Archie Bunker used to put a penny in the fuse box, by passing the fuse. Yes ...it was a huge fire hazard "you meathead you."

In the same spirit, just wrap the fuse with wire and see if it fires up. Betcha it will. Hey Edit'....how bout a beer over here.....Doug

I remember doing that with 60s-era cars I used to drive, but I wrapped them in foil.
- Mike Row
e

DavePEI

Quote from: Brinybay on February 16, 2014, 03:37:36 PM
I opened it up and it appears the problem may be one of 2 fuses that I found (the one on the left).  I did not find the plug that the little battery is supposed to attach to, but apparently that's not critical for basic settings.
The bad fuse is likely your problem. Think the socket for the battery is on the left hand side of the board 1/3 of the way up. (Left hand side of the large board, approx. 1 1/2 inches up)

If you have no spare fuse, check the existing one with the ohmmeter function of a DVM -- it should measure close to 0 ohms if it is good.It is only 1 1.2 amps and should be very easy to get.

While it is hard to see from the photo of the fuses, if it is blown, it looks like a soft blow - in other words one not caused by a severe short, and may have just been caused by metal fatigue due to its heating over and over in use. Often a "hard blow" will leave back and a vapourised metal deposit on the glass of the fuse. So that may be a good sign. Well worth going out to get a fuse!

If not, I would gladly take it for parts for mine, but I suspect you replace the fuse and you will be back in business.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

twocvbloke

I can see why there's no external battery or connections, that yellow bordered disc is a battery, presumably a later refinement (or maybe an earlier design flaw, as you can't replace it without losing all your settings and using a soldering iron!!)... ???

I could be completely wrong though and that is just for holding the time, but without anything to compare it to I could only guess... :)

As for the fuse, they're cheap enough to buy, heck I have some sat in my tin of randomly acquired switches (can't recall how I ended up with them), same rating and all, shame it's cost more to post than they're worth though... ;D