News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE 40 multi-line? -> AE47

Started by Greg G., December 21, 2012, 10:59:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

The buttons look like an after-market addition, but I'm not sure.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/atq/3488909200.html
( dead link 03-04-21 )

QuoteAutomatic Electric Model 40 Telephone
RARE Henry McCleary Door Factory Telephone with Extension Lines

Selling an extremely rare Automatic Electric Model 40 (AE-40) telephone with extension line buttons. This phone came out of the old Henry McCleary Door Factory in McCleary, WA. (now Simpson Door Co.) years ago when they upgraded their system. Phone shows years of use, but is complete inside and out, with no broken, chipped, or cracked Bakelite. Both cords are original but show much use with cracked rubber on the coiled one. The wall cord is complete and in better shape, made of very heavy braided sheathing. The thick enamel numbering/lettering on the dial face is excellent, no cracks, no chips, no wear, with bright colors. The rotary dial works but is sluggish upon return. The extension line buttons are surrounded by chrome plates, the left-side reads H & A1, the right-side reads A2 & H. There's also a small button on top close to where the receiver sits.
As you may have noticed by the label on the rear, this was Barney's phone. Not sure who Barney was/is, but the sticker is removable, if so desired. Though this is an office phone from the door factory, it has no odor of cigarette smoke, or other objectionable smell. It's been in storage since it's removal, and as mentioned before, was only removed due to a system upgrade. However, it HAS NOT been tested and is being sold for restoration or parts only.

Price is: $50 cash only (if picked up). Will also ship, so feel free to inquire about postage and payment.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

AE_Collector

An AE 47 three line telephone. Predecessor to the AE 87 three line and the AE 187 three line.

This one even has the proper cloth cord split to go to two seperate set blocks. A mechanical marvel inside! Notice that the dial cant quite sit down as flush as it should on these, too much stuff inside!

$50 is a reasonable price. They usually sell in the $40 to $70 or so price range on ebaY. Always an undervalued AE phone in my pinion. Go get it Brinybay.

Terry

Greg G.

Quote from: AE_Collector on December 21, 2012, 11:09:36 AM
An AE 47 three line telephone. Predecessor to the AE 87 three line and the AE 187 three line.

This one even has he proper cloth cord split to go to two seperate set blocks. A mechanical marvel inside! Notice that the dial cant quite sit down as flush as it should on these, too much stuff inside!

$50 is a reasonable price. They usually sell in the $40 to $70 or so price range on ebaY. Always an undervalued AE phone in my pinion. Go get it Brinybay.

Terry

I'll try, but Aberdeen is a bit of a drive, but it's a scenic area.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Phonesrfun

Greg:

The phone says "Barney" on the back, not "Briny"  You'll have to change that.   :D
-Bill G

DavePEI

Quote from: Phonesrfun on December 22, 2012, 01:24:47 AM
Greg:

The phone says "Barney" on the back, not "Briny"  You'll have to change that.   :D
That is the infamous "Rubble" phone, of Flintstones fame  :)
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

AE_Collector

I don't recognize that extra terminal strip behind the side mounted capacitor. It doesn't completely look "stock" but I could be wrong. I see some old friction tape and an extra resistor in there as well.

Terry

stub

Brinybay ,
                Looks  like mine, except for the 470 ohm resistor lead , mine is on 7 and that one is on 6.  Extra terminal strip, 6 thru 0, is for the 2 seperate set block connections .   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield