News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE 40, 47 & 50 Base Code Observations (2017!)

Started by RotoTech99, January 03, 2017, 12:13:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dsk

I do still struggle with dating my AE40 even when the information needed still is in this thread, My phone is tamped L 2143 ESL and KJ7
The diagram is D-53940 issue 7

Please help.

dsk

unbeldi

Quote from: dsk on February 26, 2017, 04:04:30 PM
I do still struggle with dating my AE40 even when the information needed still is in this thread, My phone is tamped L 2143 ESL and KJ7
The diagram is D-53940 issue 7

Please help.

dsk
It's not that easy.   I am sure yours is "L 4123 ESL" These could be made anywhere from 1948 or so to 1957.
All this tells us that it is a standard straight-line set with dial.
What is the form number on the decal/label with the patent numbers, it should be something like  D-780504-A41, where the -A41 in particular may be different.  Other than that, you have to evaluate the components, number card style, wiring, to make a judgement about refurbishing time.

dsk

You are right about L-4123 ESL The label with with patent numbers are mostly missing it could be D-780504-A41, but the circuit diagram is D-53940 issue 7. The SL ringer is of a newer type with 2x 2kohms coils, and 0.4 microFarad capacitor. The transmitter capsule is stamped D-38309-A and A.E. CO 41 and CU The receiver is stamped D5189-A Type 41 CU A.E.CO And it has an H pressed in to the metal.

dsk

unbeldi

Quote from: dsk on February 26, 2017, 04:28:01 PM
You are right about L-4123 ESL The label with with patent numbers are mostly missing it could be D-780504-A41, but the circuit diagram is D-53940 issue 7. The SL ringer is of a newer type with 2x 2kohms coils, and 0.4 microFarad capacitor. The transmitter capsule is stamped D-38309-A and A.E. CO 41 and CU The receiver is stamped D5189-A Type 41 CU A.E.CO And it has an H pressed in to the metal.

dsk

The patent label is intact enough to confirm that it is D-780504-A41.
That places the set between 1952 and 1957.
The handset was replaced at some point, but the receiver and transmitter elements are either original to the handset, or were replaced at the same time.
Next you need to look at the dial.

Indeed that looks like KJ7

dsk

I hope these may help:
dsk

unbeldi

Quote from: dsk on February 27, 2017, 12:51:42 PM
I hope these may help:
dsk

I think this is one of those transition dials, formally still a 24A36, but already having the die-cast housing. These seem to show up in 1949, shown in Tech.Bulletin 528 (?).  It predates the Type 51 and has single contact springs, so not a 51A either.
Did you print the number card yourself ?  It is the style that came out in 1955.

dsk

unbeldi

Quote from: dsk on February 28, 2017, 12:30:27 AM
The card is d.i.y, it came like this:
dsk
I like the original card.  It's likely from the very late 1950s to early/mid 1960s, showing the area code.  GIbson was in Columbia, Missouri, today NPA 573, almost at the border of NPA 816, now 660. Half-way between St. Louis and Kansas City.
Much of the area is still running Automatic Electric switches even today.

dsk

Thank you, I think I have to call the phone approx 1950, it is in daily use connected to my (probably) 1946 PBX .

unbeldi

It is definitely younger than early 1952.
The dial number plate is also lacking the Z on the 0-position, and I am assuming that was removed in the same time frame as Western Electric did (1953).

dsk

Maybe it is put together of different parts, did they use cloth covered cords inside the phone as late as 53?

dsk

I have another phone (WE D1) with an AE dial marked:  marked 29 and CB with red ink, and the metal is stamped A.E.Co type 24.
When did they make such dials?

dsk

rdelius

The type 24 dials were introduced about 1926 and the 24a36 replaced it about 1936.At some point the dials were marked AE inc in an oval and later sometimes in the 1930s AECO in a diamond

AE_Collector

From what I have seen the type 24's had the Oval AE logo. Type 24's make the loud clicks as it is would up. I have seen dials with the Oval logo that either don't click or click very quietly. I assume these are 24A36 dials due to the quiet or non existent clicking on wind up but they still had the Oval logo at that point. Unless possibly the type 24 dial was upgraded from type 24 to 24A36 with pawl quieting. Originally I thought the logo change was pretty much he same time as the 24A36 introduction. But then I previously thought the cast dial case meant it was at least a type 51 as well.

I really have trouble figuring out model types for AE dials. Am I correct in thinking that the dial needs to be disassembled to determine if it has pawl quieting and what method was used? I haven't figured out anything to look for to confirm dial type except that if it has bifurcated contacts it is a 51A or later.

Cast versus stamped case doesn't line up with model types.
Logo types don't seem to line up with model changes.

Terry

RotoTech99

Dear AE Collector:

ISTR that to see if the AE rotary 24 type dial has a silencening pawl, you only need to remove the finger wheel and cardholder to check for it; it is visible as a small tab near the top of the fingerwheel mount; mist of it is hidden under the fingerwheel mount.

Frankly I've never thought of the windup clicks
on an unquieted AE dial to be all that loud, the clicks sort of remind me of an unoiled windup clock when u wind it.