News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Anyone Collect Antique Fans?

Started by BDM, July 05, 2009, 03:05:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rp2813

Larry, that's a nice job you did on the Vortalex, and even with its problems you got it for a great price.

Balancing the blades on a Vortalex can be a real challenge.  I spent a lot of time on mine and can barely feel any vibration at all from the cage when the fan is running now.

I just picked up a little Superior 10" one-speed oscillator from a friend and it made me realize just how much more effective the Vortalex is at moving air.
Ralph

LarryInMichigan

Ralph, thank you.  I think that I have the Vortalex blades about as balances as I will ever have them.  The fan barely shakes at all while running, but there is a small wobble visible in the blades while they are spinning.  The fan sure blows well, but it is rather loud.

As a caution to fan collectors, I would strongly suggest inspecting the head wire, especially inside the motor housing near the entrance.  Both of these GE fans had very badly worn insulation on the wires in that area with enough copper showing to make me plenty concerned.  I don't particularly want flashes and smoke from the fans, so I replaced the head wires, which is a bit of a challenge.

Larry

bakerbrett741

I like almost anything made before my time. Im glad to see pics of things that can be repaired and enjoyed. I started collecting touch tip lighters and phones. http://ronsonrepair.com/ronson_lighters_for_sale.html

Whitcrane76

Yes I do! Got a few desk models and one ceiling fan.

Babybearjs

Notice on the label is says "Hunter Fan and Motor Co" the company is still around today and the fans are still made, they are just ceiling fans though! I used to sell them and they are real nice fans!
John

Cole

I collect them. I have quite a few Emersons and GEs and also a few Westinghouses, Hunters and some of the Zero fans. I have fans ranging all the way back to the teens to 60s through modern day. For new ones I really like the Vornado metal reproduction fans.

I've been collecting off and on since my parents got me fans as a kid in the early 90s. Since 2007 I got back into it and got into the 1970s and prior fans and in last few years have been gotten the older brass bladed ones. I especially like six wing fans.

I have a few fans myself.

1915 GE 2 Star
1931 Emerson model 450 Northwind
1950's Robbins & Myers
1950's Sea-breeze

tubaman

Love the early ones with the minimal guards. Clearly 'health and safety' wasn't such a thing then - you learnt the hard way why you don't stick your fingers in a moving fan!
;D

RDPipes

There was a time I had quite a few vintage /antique fans, restored and unrestored and some just conserved.
Here's a few I use to have, had to stop because my beck couldn't handle the weight anymore. Some of those large cast iron and brass fans weighed as much as 45 pounds. And sold many off just needing the bucks.

RDPipes

Quote from: RDP on March 12, 2011, 12:13:54 PMWell Dennis, I thought at one time that I was able to email you but must have been mistaken. So, I'll post the photos here that I mentioned in the PM in hopes that you see them.
GE 16" Voratlex and here's a late model Emerson I got crazy with.

Hmm! These fans look very familiar. I knew I was a member of a phone forum at one time but, couldn't remember which one.
Gees! I reckon I am getting old. Well,

NorthernElectric

I didn't collect fans but I picked one up today.  I guess I still don't collect them unless I get 1 more.  We'll see...

Somewhere in the recent past I saw a vintage fan on a pole that I had a use for but at a price I was not willing to pay at the time.  But I ran into one today at a shop that was not in working order,  The proprietor said that the previous owner told him it worked until a mouse chewed the cord and to make an offer.  I offered, he scowled, we dickered, and agreed on 20 bucks.

I had never heard of this brand but apparently it was made by the Easy Washing Machine Company of Syracuse, NY (with a subsidiary in Toronto where this one was likely made) which shut down in 1963.  From the seafoam green hammertone paint, I'd guess this was made in the 1950s or early 60s.  I remember as a kid in that time frame having a fan with a similar finish on it.

I trimmed the cord to remove all the damaged parts and put a plug on it to test it out.  It works fine including the oscillation.  I will have to put a new cord on it because it's supposed to go down through the pole which extends to around 7 feet tall and out through a hole near the bottom of the cast iron base.  The base is a little rusty so I'm going to keep my eye out for some hammertone paint in a similar colour.  I don't think I'll attempt to restore the whole thing; just repaint the base to match as closely as I can.  The rest of it has a few minor dings and chips but is not bad overall.

side.jpg

front.jpg 
Cliff

TelePlay

QuoteI will have to put a new cord on it because it's supposed to go down through the pole which extends to around 7 feet tall and out through a hole near the bottom of the cast iron base.

How does that work when the power cord goes down the stand pipe and the stand pipe is adjustable?

Where does the extra cord to handle the extension go, or how does that work?

NorthernElectric

Quote from: TelePlay on May 07, 2022, 11:07:02 PMHow does that work when the power cord goes down the stand pipe and the stand pipe is adjustable?

Where does the extra cord to handle the extension go, or how does that work?

I suppose that you need to leave enough slack cord under the base to allow for that and make a knot on the inside so you can't accidentally pull the slack out.  There is a hole in the side of the inner tube at the top and a hole exiting the base which leads me to that conclusion.  I've found several pictures of these fans with ordinary pedestal bases but none so far with the extendable pole.
Cliff

RDPipes

Quote from: NorthernElectric on May 07, 2022, 11:46:43 PMI suppose that you need to leave enough slack cord under the base to allow for that and make a knot on the inside so you can't accidentally pull the slack out.  There is a hole in the side of the inner tube at the top and a hole exiting the base which leads me to that conclusion.  I've found several pictures of these fans with ordinary pedestal bases but none so far with the extendable pole.

You found yourself a pretty nice pedestal fan sir and at a real cheap price.
Pedestal fans aren't the easiest to come by. Your right about the power cord and there
might just be a long spring inside the down rod to take up the slack of the cord.
I have a Westinghouse 10" pedestal fan from 1936 with a adjustable height and that's what it has.
But, depending on the maker as you know they don't all do things the same.

Lousy photos I know, I didn't have a photo of my fan so these were taken off the internet.
Theses are called the Darth Vader fan by collectors because of how the back of the motor
looks.