News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Anyone know what these thingamabob's are?

Started by MagicMo, February 18, 2013, 08:15:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MagicMo

Hi,
I have four of these thingmabob's. I don't even know what they are so I can't find out anything about them. I figured even if they weren't phone related someone here would know. A battery?
Thanks,
Mo
Practice Kindness :)

DavePEI

Quote from: MagicMo on February 18, 2013, 08:15:48 PM
Hi,
I have four of these thingmabob's. I don't even know what they are so I can't find out anything about them. I figured even if they weren't phone related someone here would know. A battery?
Thanks,
Mo
Hi Mo:

Actually, they are phone related. They are type 111  repeating coils (Rep coils) used to match broadcaster's equipment with phone lines when setting up broadcasts relayed by phone lines. (that is the simplest explanation).

Their specs are:

IMPEDANCE RATIO 600:600...max DCR 40 and 40 ohm...27 henry...  ...VOICE FREQ.(30 - 15000)

It's basically a 1:1 transformer that isolates the dry pairs electrically at each end from the audio equipment in an effort to eliminate hum.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

MagicMo

Thanks DavePEI,
I just found some on ebay. Geez, they are going for over a hundred bucks a piece! Yowza! They looked like junk to me. :o
Mo

DavePEI

Quote from: MagicMo on February 18, 2013, 08:27:22 PM
Thanks DavePEI,
I just found some on ebay. Geez, they are going for over a hundred bucks a piece! Yowza! They looked like junk to me. :o
Mo
Yep, they aren't cheap! We used to use them in Ham Radio phone patches, and because of their superior performance, audiophiles love them.

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

Phonesrfun

Quote from: MagicMo on February 18, 2013, 08:27:22 PM
Thanks DavePEI,
Mo

Rule of thumb number one.  When in doubt, put it on eBay.  Rule number 2 is that old telephone junk really aint junk
-Bill G

G-Man

As has already stated they are Western Electric 111C repeating coils for use with telephone company program channels and were used not only by broadcasters, but wherever extremely high-quality audio performance was needed.

Their characteristics have never been equaled for other manufacturers and are still in great demand!

Prior to the economy going south, they often commanded even high prices than at what they are now being offered for.

G-Man

Quote from: G-Man on February 18, 2013, 09:25:23 PM
As has already stated they are Western Electric 111C repeating coils for use with telephone company program channels and were used not by broadcasters, but wherever extremely high-quality audio performance was needed.

Their characteristics have never been equaled for other manufacturers and are still in great demand!

Prior to the economy going south, they often commanded even high prices than at what they are now being offered for.

I might add that their use as a 600 Ohm 1:1 transformer is only one option since other strapping options determine what ratios are offered.

MagicMo

Quote from: G-Man on February 18, 2013, 09:25:23 PM
As has already stated they are Western Electric 111C repeating coils for use with telephone company program channels and were used not only by broadcasters, but wherever extremely high-quality audio performance was needed.

Very interesting because I found a lot of speakers, somewhere around 15-20. Small to large. They looked like they were taken from a building tear down or something. Cinaudagraph, Jensen, Alltech and some others. Maybe it's all related.
Cool stuff
Thanks,
Mo

DavePEI

Quote from: MagicMo on February 19, 2013, 09:39:08 PM
Very interesting because I found a lot of speakers, somewhere around 15-20. Small to large. They looked like they were taken from a building tear down or something. Cinaudagraph, Jensen, Alltech and some others. Maybe it's all related.
Well, perhaps somewhat related, but what these coils would be used for is between the input source and the amplifier, eliminating hum and matching the impedance of the source with the input impedance of the amplifier. The speakers would be on the other end of the amplifier and would have 4, 8, or 16 ohm coils.

However, I think you said your Dad also did some radio and TV repairs, so he may very well have done some high quality audio work as well...

The coils are primarily designed for phone service, though in later years, audiophiles have adapted them to their uses.

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

G-Man

Depending on the particular model, Altec and Cinaudagraph speakers can demand premium prices from collectors of high-end audio equipment. Without knowing the model numbers of your particular speakers it's hard to say but potentially several thousand dollars would not be out of the question for a rare model.

This is from memory so it's subject to correction, but Altec is kinda an off-shoot from Western Electric's ERPI division which concentrated on motion picture sound systems. Bell Labs and WECo developed the first commercially successful motion picture sound system with the introduction of Warner Bros. Jazz Singer with Al Jolson. For regulatory reasons, they formed Electrical Research Products (ERPI) to keep an arm's length distance from their regulated communications businesses.

Eventually they were pressured to divest themselves from non-tariffed products and services. As I recall, a group of ERPI's management engineering employees acquired it from WECo. They named their new company All Technical Service or ALTEC. Later they acquired James B. Lansings company and changed the name to Altec-Lansing. Most of their early products were clones of WECo/ERPI products and are highly sought after by collectors, especially the Japanese who spend incredible amounts for almost any Western Electric/ERPI/ALTEC products.

Of course as with most former iconic American manufacturers, Altec has since been sold to a conglomerate who also markets its name for merchandising low-cost, consumer-level products.

If you come across WECo or Altec (or certain other brands) tube amplifiers, they may rival the price that your Picturephone garnered at you last auction.

If you provide the model numbers of the Altec speakers, I have an associate who specializes in this area of collecting, with whom I will put you in touch with if you wish. He most likely could advise you as to whether you have true collectables or boat anchors.

MagicMo

Holy Cow. Thanks for all the info. I'm gonna go look through all the stuff over the weekend. I have been so overwhelmed with all the phone stuff that I haven't even looked much at the radios and other stuff. I did see an amplifier or two.
I took a few pics but not even close to all the speakers I have.
Thanks
Mo