News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Phone shipping question/confusion.

Started by Greg G., October 16, 2010, 04:21:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

I recently sold a few phones through ebay and used Flat Rate boxes.  To get to the point, I came across this auction for some phones on ebay, and I don't see how you could fit 7 phones in one FR Large box.  The FR Large Box isn't all that big.  It will comfortably accommodate one 500-sized phone or two Trimlines, but 7 phones?  It is not physically possible!  

The only thing I can think of is the seller is confused about USPS Flat Rate.  I recently bought a non-phone item and the seller said they charged him a little more than he expected for Flat Rate.  That's because he didn't ship it FR, he used an ordinary brown cardboard box.  Post Office will only give FR if you use their FR boxes.

http://tinyurl.com/28yxf4b

QuoteThis listing is for seven (7) PRINCESS-STYLE TELEPHONES --- Four of the PHONE are TRIMLINE - One is Western Electric - One is BELL (push button) and one Rotary PHONE (Yellow)......................None of these phones have a "dial tone" - telephone repairman might be able to make all these phones work --- this is an unbelievable good buy -- $9.99 for all seven phone PLUS shipping via USPS Priority Mail (large flat rate box) -------------------ASK ANY AND ALL QUESTIONS PRIOR TO BIDDING!!

PLEASE ASK ALL QUESTIONS REGARDING THIS offering of seven (7) PRINCESS-STYLE TELEPHONES prior to bidding - responses will be made as soon as possible...........................

Seller sends buyer an invoice as soon as auction is over and buyer MUST respond within three (3) days after receipt of invoice regarding payment of purchase - PAYMENT MUST BE RECEIVED WITHIN FOUR (4) DAYS AFTER CLOSE OF AUCTION................................

SELLER ACCEPTS PAYPAL PAYMENTS ONLY!!!

PACKING/SHIPPING within the U.S.A. will be $15.30 by USPS PRIORITY MAIL (large flat rate box), which will include confirmation of delivery
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Dennis Markham

Agreed, there's no way he's getting all those phones in one Flat Rate box, large or medium.  Unless they're in pieces.

deedubya3800

Yes, that's what I'm thinking. I've used the Flat Rate boxes before, and I think the seller was just confused and should've checked the dimensions of the box, which is available online. We have a machine where I work that can get seven Trimlines into a Flat Rate box, but you're going to need several more machines to be able to use them afterwards, namely the original molding and assembly equipment from the factory.

Greg G.

On a side note, I resisted the urge to be "Mr. Helpful".  He doesn't have "7 Princess phones", or "4 Trimlines", he has 2 Princess phones and 5 Trimlines, but anybody interested in them would know that anyway, like who ever bought them.  The seller is going to have a rude awakening when he goes to ship them, it'll easily eat up a large portion of what he got for them, on top of the $15 he charged for shipping.

Moral of the story:  Do your homework first!
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

jsowers

About two weeks ago I asked a question about the two phones this seller had. He's a newbie seller with very few feedbacks, and I think it was 1 or 2 feedbacks then. He had the shipping for two 500 sets plus the case they came in (these were Teletrainer phones, meant for schools to show children how to use the phone-note the Bell logo cards) and he was going to ship all this in a large flat rate box!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Two-Vintage-Western-Electric-Telephones-W-Case-/270639814590

I tried not to come across as Mr. Helpful here, but I asked him if the shipping was correct. I was also wondering because I was interested in the phones and couldn't see how he could cram all that into a flat rate box. He replied that he was in error, and since the phones were hard plastic, I wasn't insterested, so I didn't bid, luckily for him. They ended without any bids. He relisted the phones and the shipping was $20, which was more in keeping, and he managed to sell them, but he never took out the flat rate box part. Did anyone here get them? They looked pretty good.
Jonathan

Jim Stettler

That was a good price for teletrainer phones.
These are typically wired 4 wire w/ the ringer on the second pair.

Be advised that if you have the samsonite cases.I have had the "foam" in the samsonite case outgass into a "tar-like" substance, it is quite a mess.

Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

HarrySmith

I got the teletrainer phones & case, I thought it was a good price also. I have wanted one of the cases for a while. There was a case with a pair of soft Pink 500's a while ago I was bidding on but went out of my reach. I think I will probably sell the phones and restore the case to use with a couple of soft 500's from my collection. They have not arrived as of yet.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

jsowers

With my 60s Teletrainer and the 50s one my friend has, the black ringer wire has to be on the G terminal on the network with the yellow wire before it will ring. The phones only have three-wire mounting cords like a regular 500 set. Nothing separate to the ringing at all. Most of the older 1950s phones were wired that way, if you get one nobody's tampered with. I leave all mine wired that way.

I don't have any Teletrainer cases, but I've seen old foam and it's nasty stuff. The headliner to my '78 Pontiac wagon had foam-backing. Yuck. What were they thinking?

Congrats, Harry, on getting the phones. They have nice logo cards. Teletrainer phones also came with long mounting cords, which on 50s phones were quite rare.
Jonathan

HarrySmith

Thanks John. I was a mechanic for many years so I have seen some nasy old foam in cars, not just in the headliner, the worst is probably foam thats been under the hood of a car for 40 or 50 years exposed to engine heat & chemicals. The phones in this case do not look too bad. I am planning on replacing the foam in the case before I put anything back in it.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Jim Stettler

Quote from: jsowers on October 17, 2010, 10:32:21 AM
With my 60s Teletrainer and the 50s one my friend has, the black ringer wire has to be on the G terminal on the network with the yellow wire before it will ring. The phones only have three-wire mounting cords like a regular 500 set. Nothing separate to the ringing at all. Most of the older 1950s phones were wired that way, if you get one nobody's tampered with. I leave all mine wired that way.

Fred Haynes was the one who told me that a lot of them used 4 wire cords. They modified regfular sets for use w/ the teletrainers. He worked out of KS. It may of depended on the area.  Fred worked with teletrainers, switchboards and switches.

Fred is active with the Telephone pioneers and they still use Teletrainers for "911" training at the local schools.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

jsowers

Quote from: Jim S. on October 17, 2010, 01:37:44 PM
Fred is active with the Telephone pioneers and they still use Teletrainers for "911" training at the local schools.
Jim

My friend is an elementary school teacher and has taken a couple phones and his Teletrainer to school to show the kids. I think all the ringing is a little much to take, but done properly it can still teach good manners on the phone and how and when to call 911. Speaking of that, I had to call 911 yesterday. My lawn mower caught fire. I called 911 from my rotary 554 in the kitchen, while watching the mower burn out of control, next to the road! I'll post a picture in a separate thread.
Jonathan

HarrySmith

Got the phones & case today. I do not have time to open them up right now, preparing for furniture delivery later this week! They look pretty good and the case is excellent! There is no foam on the inside, it is more like a thick fabric block. Still firm and intact with no smell or deterioration. Overall I am very happy with this purchase. I really like the Bell dial cards ;D
I will get pictures and details up after the furniture gets delivered.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"