News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

The CRPF "Old Phones in Movies & TV" Compilation

Started by HobieSport, November 23, 2008, 01:45:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Had it been done in this era, I'm sure it would like the real deal.

19and41

Something I read today made me think about this bit from The Beverly Hillbillies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2OzORTen_k
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

Key2871

Lol, I remember that now.. Oh how funny.
Edit, I remember back when I saw that episode, and not knowing a lot about phones still knew that was a bad idea being way up on the pole... Ahh the memories.
KEN

TelePlay

The Birds:  Nine minutes into the movie, Tippi Hedren calls out on a WE Moss Green 500 with a gray coiled handset cord.

"The Birds is a 1963 American horror - thriller film produced and directed by Alfred Hitchcock. Loosely based on the 1952 story of the same name by Daphne du Maurier, it focuses on a series of sudden and unexplained violent bird attacks on the people of Bodega Bay, California, over the course of a few days."

countryman

At least she seems to use the rubber side of the pencil to turn the dial. Other users were notorious to scratch the number ring with sharp objects  >:(

19and41

I had guessed a while ago that the difference in hue of the cords on the phone was incident to age.  Those pictures prove the guess wrong.  It must've been how the materials accepted the coloring agent.
— Arthur C. Clarke

TelePlay

About 5 minutes latter, the Moss Green shows up in another home - prop switch. But, after another 10 minutes, Tippi Hedren is seen talking on a WE Light Grey 500. The photo does not show the light gray color as well as seen on the TV screen.

The whole movie has a basic color scheme or palette of earthy pastels, green brown and gray. The light, neutral earth colors made it easy for Hitch to accent the important stuff in the dramatic scenes. The phones in those colors are just part of the background.

19and41

I couldn't help but notice the lighter next to the lady's smokes.  I always thought that design so cool.

— Arthur C. Clarke

FABphones

A screenshot from tv sleuth programme 'Father Brown' showing this sedated police sergeant at his counter in the village police station after a visit from a naughty bounder. Notice the U43 on his desk, as commonly found in every British police station. Ermmm...  :o
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

19and41

Just was watching an episode of the Science Channel's series, Mysteries Of The Abandoned and it had a segment on a hardened bunker in Florida that was a part of the AUTOVON system.  If any of you should subscribe to Discovery+, it is there.  search the series title and it's season 6, episode 5.
— Arthur C. Clarke

markosjal

Quote from: Key2871 on May 10, 2020, 01:50:07 PM
Well yea I knew that had to be blown up special effects because there are no phones that size, especially modular.

What you never watched land of the giants?
Phat Phantom's phreaking phone phettish

david@london

Fawlty Towers, episode 3 - The Wedding Party....

TelePlay

In the high tech science fiction movie "Them" made in 1954 and nominated for one Oscar for "Best Effects, Special Effects" in 1955, at 1 hour and 9 minutes into the movie there seems to be a B1/E1 phone sitting on the desk. A bit old for 1954 especially when a minute or two later, several 302's can be seen sitting on another desk (second image). Nice looking B1/E1.

19and41

Sci-fi was pretty good when the studios and their best talent got behind it. 
— Arthur C. Clarke

19and41

That mad me think about another good one, The Thing From Another World

— Arthur C. Clarke