News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

F1 Handset on a 500?

Started by JimH, April 14, 2011, 07:19:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimH

Just wondered if anyone knows if this is a factory job or not.  It looks like it has a refurbished date of 1965.  An oddity for sure:

http://tinyurl.com/3vubbbh
Jim H.

LarryInMichigan

F1s show up on all kinds of phone.  If one can show up on an AE, SC, or Kellogg, why not a 500?  I once bought a Kellogg pyramid with an E1 (It didn't fit very well).

Larry

Adam

But besides not fitting properly on the cradle, an F1 isn't the same electrically as a G1, is it?  So, an F1 would work poorly on a 500, right?
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

Phonesrfun

They never would have put an F1 on a 500 from the factory, and not even likely from a refurb shop.  And, yes, the F1 would not work as well in the 500 as a G handset.
-Bill G

GG

Refurb shops varied in quality from the excellent to the awful.  The best ones buffed all the plastics but did it correctly, and made sure all the components were clean internally, and made adjustments to be sure the bells rang, etc. etc.  The worst ones didn't go over the internal parts, and did the "contrary repaint" thing where plastics were painted different colors indiscriminately, so they'd end up looking scrungy after a bit of use. 

I once got a batch of Northern Telecom Logic 10s for a 1A2 installation, half of which were equipped with Canadian connecting cords that used a different wiring pattern than the US cords.  I never knew such animals even existed in the proverbial forest.  Spent hours trying to figure out why the darn phones didn't work, and finally got them all working.  Stopped using that supplier after that. 

An F1 handset on a 500 set (not a 5302) is a new surprise though. 

And the best part is, they all passed FCC specs and got the little stickers on the bottom. 

JimH

Nothing worse than getting a polane-coated phone you can't buff up very easily.  Looks like it went for $40.  Anyone here snag it?  I'd be interested in how it's wired.
Jim H.