News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

D-97464 Field Trial Telephone

Started by poplar1, February 22, 2013, 12:22:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

poplar1

This is a Western Electric field trial set pre-302 from 1936.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190801671879

It sold for $549 Buy It Now.

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Gilas

I saw it on there yesterday. Amazing what pops up. Were you the lucky one pop?  I thought about it but wife would kill me lol

poplar1

I wasn't the buyer. I didn't see it until today. 

poplar1

I believe the case is metal. Not sure if there is paint missing on the "ears" (cradle) or if that is just a reflection.

The inside wires appear to be cloth covered. This was standard on all WE phones including early 500s. The brown handset cord and mounting cord are cloth covered jackets with rubber covered leads, as was standard starting with the 1937 production H3C and D3AL cords.

dsk

Hmm! You're right.  :) I hate to be wrong  8)

dsk

Doug Rose

Wonderful phone. Would have easily doubled if it had been a seven day acution. Looks like it was hardly ever used. Sat in a ckimate controlled closet someplace.....Doug
Kidphone

poplar1

Several Ebay sellers have recently sold off long-stored accumulations of telephones.  Perhaps they are buying out estates.

The main differences between this phone and a 302 seem to be the handset (two-piece transmitter cap; single hole in the receiver cap) and the arrangement of holes on the baseplate.

Jim Stettler

had an opportunity to buy 1 of these once. You can't tell from this phoot,but, I believe this model only has 1 cord hole. Inside  of the phone should be a field trial "notice" to the effect that  Bell Labs should be notified for repair.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

poplar1

Paul's site shows the Bell Labs notice that is partially visible in the photo of the one that just sold. Paul also says that some of these sets had plastic housings.

http://paul-f.com/wep302.html#D97464bplies=7

rdelius

Same as the one I posted months ago Serial number is higher.Mine is 720 i think.I wonder if the telephone number is origional?.What city?