News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Poor audio on Western Electric 554 non-dial wall phone from 1961

Started by pete1980, April 04, 2017, 09:42:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AL_as_needed

The 1914 building or in the annex? Both are nice buildings with lots of great little architectural details  not found in most COs as they have been renovated (or demolished) beyond recognition. Nice piece of both Buffalo and Telco history there, that 554 saw a lot of changes from its perch on the wall.
TWinbrook7

pete1980

The original (1914) part of the building.  I'd have loved to have seen it with the microwave equipment.  There's still a few remnants from those days if you look around.  I LOVE the historical aspect and seeing glimpses of phone company history.

AL_as_needed

It's always fun when collecting to have a few pieces where we more or less know the full story of that piece. Where it was used, by whom, and so on.

One of the apartment complexes I do a lot of work at has layers of phone systems within the basements. Originally built in the early 60s, there are all sorts of incarnations of terminal blocks and punch-down blocks and wiring. As things were modernized over the decades, the older wiring/hardware was simply abandoned in place as the new was installed. If I had the room and money  ::) for a key system i'd try and snatch it up.
TWinbrook7