News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Unable to change font, add italics, add colors, etc. to messages

Started by poplar1, December 29, 2022, 03:21:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

poplar1

For several days now, when posting I can no longer see the usual tabs for adding italics, underlining, changing colors, changing font, etc.

Here is what I am seeing above this box where I am writing text; k a series of blue boxes. The user avatars also appear as blue boxes.

I have already rebooted the Chrome laptop, but that didn't help. I am not having any problems with an Android cell phone, just on the Chromebook.

Any ideas what is causing this, and how to correct it?
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

FABphones

Did it display ok previously on that laptop?

If so, has the laptop received any updates in the interim?
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

RDPipes

Ya might want to try another browser Dave and see if it that fixes it.
I know sometimes when browsers update they can really screw everything up from my own personal experience.
I just had to change from Firefox to Chrome to fix a mac error I was getting all the time.

poplar1

Quote from: FABphones on December 29, 2022, 03:54:56 PMDid it display ok previously on that laptop?

If so, has the laptop received any updates in the interim?

Displayed fine for last 2 years on same laptop.
I did update Chrome recently.

Now I am having trouble even logging in. Error says site is not secure because it is not https:

FABphones

Quote from: poplar1 on December 30, 2022, 12:26:58 AM...fine for last 2 years on same laptop.
I did update Chrome recently.

Now I am having trouble even logging in. Error says site is not secure because it is not https:

Site is not https, so that part is correct. Chrome is pre warning, do you want to proceed to a none https (s = secure) site:
HyperText Transfer Protocol Secure (HTTPS) is the secure version of HTTP, which is the primary protocol used to send data between a web browser and a website. HTTPS is encrypted in order to increase security of data transfer.

Sounds like a software compatibility issue with the latest version of Chrome. Hopefully something SMF will look to correct in a near future patch. Meantime I will take a look to see if it is mentioned in their current patch.

—-

EDIT:  Not specifically mentioned but may be addressed within the latest SMF 2.1.3 patch. I will message Admin.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

TelePlay

Check your firewall setting, it may be too high. Lower it, see if that fixes the problem.

I use the medium setting on my firewall AND a very good anti-virus live scanning program.

TelePlay

What version of Windows are you running?

I received an alert that Chrome updates will only be available for Win10 going forward.

My desktop is Win7 and I get funny stuff on the screen every so often, screen does not load correctly but refresh takes care of that.

"Google has announced it will end Chrome support on Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 early next year. Chrome 110, which is scheduled for release on February 7th, will not work on either of the operating systems. You'll still be able to use older versions of Chrome on Windows 7 and 8.1, but you'll no longer be able to install newer builds, which will include new features and security updates."

https://www.engadget.com/google-chrome-windows-7-8-1-201122191.html

Gates making everyone buy something else.

tubaman

Quote from: TelePlay on January 04, 2023, 01:03:21 PMWhat version of Windows are you running?

I received an alert that Chrome updates will only be available for Win10 going forward.

My desktop is Win7 ...

I'd seriously consider upgrading as support for Win 7 ended nearly three years ago. Depending on the hardware you might be able to upgrade to Win 10 for free.

poplar1

The Chromebook is about 2 years old. Chrome version 108.0.5359111

Contempra

Quote from: poplar1 on January 04, 2023, 01:39:09 PMThe Chromebook is about 2 years old. Chrome version 108.0.5359111

Don't worry too much David, I myself have been here for years, I have never even been able to use colors when I answer. Only black in fact! and yet my computer runs with Windows 10 and Firefox..

poplar1

Quote from: tubaman on January 04, 2023, 01:19:38 PMI'd seriously consider upgrading as support for Win 7 ended nearly three years ago. Depending on the hardware you might be able to upgrade to Win 10 for free.

Chromebook uses its own OS, not Windows.

TelePlay

Quote from: poplar1 on January 04, 2023, 06:45:35 PMChromebook uses its own OS, not Windows.

Might be an incompatibility between that OS and the SMF coding. Don't know if the update from 2.1.2 to 2.1.3 unicode fix would resolve your issue.

tubaman

Quote from: poplar1 on January 04, 2023, 06:45:35 PMChromebook uses its own OS, not Windows.

I know - I was commenting on @TelePlay saying he was still using Win7.
 :)

TelePlay

Quote from: tubaman on January 05, 2023, 04:53:29 AMI know - I was commenting on @TelePlay saying he was still using Win7.

Ooops! My main use desktop is running Win10, but I still get screens that load poorly, think it's my virus protection software. Refresh clears the hang.

But, I have 2 older laptops running Win7 and one laptop with Win10, all working fine so far.

RDPipes

I don't know if this matters but, when replying to a PM of Dave's I got the same thing as he did, scared me a bit. While on that page everything that contained a icon of any kind showed up as a crashed icon. I had to close that tab completely and go back to the original tab here.