"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

1702B Princess w/ 4010D NET and 25H4 dial - connections

Started by Stefan1974, November 28, 2013, 03:16:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stefan1974

Hello,

my 1967 1702B has a 4010D and 25H4 combination - it works, but the sound of the receiver is a little low. I already did exchange the U3 receiver and it is not the reason for the fault.
I learned that the 25H4 has one wire less that its successor 25P4 which is the right one to be combined with the 4010D network according to the BSP.

Presently, the phone is wired as if it would have a 4010B and 25H4 combination. Maybe this is wrong what would be a possible reason for the insufficient loudness.

I would be happy for any help or hint on that.

Thanks,
Stefan

southernphoneman

Quote from: Stefan1974 on November 28, 2013, 03:16:02 PM
Hello,

my 1967 1702B has a 4010D and 25H4 combination - it works, but the sound of the receiver is a little low. I already did exchange the U3 receiver and it is not the reason for the fault.
I learned that the 25H4 has one wire less that its successor 25P4 which is the right one to be combined with the 4010D network according to the BSP.

Presently, the phone is wired as if it would have a 4010B and 25H4 combination. Maybe this is wrong what would be a possible reason for the insufficient loudness.

Thanks,
Stefan
sometimes a bad handset cord will be responsible for that, sometimes they look like they are in good shape but might not be, just a thought, Gregg

poplar1

Quote from: Stefan1974 on November 28, 2013, 03:16:02 PM
Hello,

Thanks,
Stefan

Try temporarily moving the white receiver wire to R if the other white receiver wire is already on GN.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Contempra

a normal wiring circuit will be more easy  David,,...this is my opinion

poplar1

The reason for moving the receiver wire is to bypass the part of the dial that mutes the receiver, which is supposed to happen only while a button is pressed.

If the dial tone is OK with the receiver connected directly to the network, then cleaning one set of contacts on the dial will probably fix the problem.

Of course, you could just clean the contacts anyway without moving the wires, but I prefer the other way. I'm guessing that the wiring is correct since "low dial tone" is a common problem on properly wired old Touch-Tone sets.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Contempra

of course David... I have a phone with a similar problem...The receiver is loud...too loud when i listen but the transmitter not all all.....