News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Maitland Show

Started by HarrySmith, January 15, 2011, 05:43:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarrySmith

Just got back from the Maitland show! It was great! Lots of people, lots of phones and tons of insulators. My favorite part of a show is getting to meet guys you have been emailing with and reading about. Got to see John Huckeby again, what a great guy, last saw him at the Shipshewanna show this summer and it was his Wife's birthday, today was his! Got him to trade a Red Mini 500 sample phone for my duplicate Grey one! Picked up a ton of phones! My collection has just grown big time! Great deals were to be had! I went hoping to get a multiline 302 to complete my Black 302 display, I have a plastic one, a metal one and just purchased Kenny's so I have a short ear vented one. I bought a box of phones from a guy who walked in that included a 4 line 302, a single line 302, a 211 spacesaver, a WE subset with wood mounting board and a Beige modular 500. All for $100.00! I also picked up a 102 from the show host, Paul Mikula, #2 dial and seamless F1 handset, I now have 102, 202 & 302 covered. I also got my first candlestick a 20AL from a walk in. I also picked up another box with 8 phones, a box of misc parts, mostly candle stick and an old shoulder rest. I have posted pics here:
http://picasaweb.google.com/HarrySmith1957/MaitlandShowFinds
( dead link 05-03-22 )

Someone here was looking for this type of shoulde rest if I recall correctly. contact me if you still want one.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Vern P

Harry,
Thanks for the info about the show. YES shows are the best place to find stuff. If you keep finding stuff, your place will look like mine.

I am looking for shoulder rest's. What color did you find ?

Vern P

Kenny C

Congratulations on your great haul Harry.
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

HarrySmith

Finished one of the phones I picked up at Maitalnd. This AE 40 was in the box o' phones I got. Posted a couple of before & after pics and got more here:https://picasaweb.google.com/HarrySmith1957/AE40BeforeAfter
BTW it is for sale and will be headed to eBay tomorrow. Make an offer before I list it!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

HarrySmith

Another one from the box of stuff finally finished. An SC1543 that was in rough shape. Needed a few parts I got from Ray K. Been on the back burner but finally got it together. Pictures here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/HarrySmith1957/StrombergCarlson1543BeforeAfter?feat=directlink ( dead link 03-11-21 )

Having one issue maybe someone can advise on. This is my first 1543 so maybe I am missing a secret trick or something. I cannot get the plugers to work smoothly when the cover is installed. I checked my original pictures and they look like they are in the same position I removed them from plus I do not see any way to change position. What am I doing wrong?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

GG

Hi Harry-

Re. SC 1543 hookswitch plungers (I'm doing this from memory):

First, check the plungers and the rectangular holes in the housing, to see that all of the surfaces are smooth and free of subtle obstructions such as (in that example) chunks of dirt that may have been missed when you cleaned the phone.

Second, those plungers *look* symmetrical but they aren't exactly. 

There will be a circular indentation in the molding on one side about halfway down between the visible part and the round hole that mounts on the horizontal peg coming out of the metal hookswitch bracket.  You want both of those circular holes facing symmetrically: either both face inward toward each other, or both face outward away from each other.  Try it both ways, see which one works.

Third, originally there were two sets of small parts involved: 

One, a little springy steel wire on each side, that ran from the front to the rear of the bracket, and the middle of it was looped around the horizontal peg on the bracket.  The purpose of this springy wire is to rest under an indentation in the plunger, and keep the plunger pointed more vertically and prevent it from flopping too far forward or backward.  If I recall correctly, the springs were on the "outside" of each plunger, so the plunger would be fitted inward over the horizontal peg and then meet up with the spring.  The long front and rear "tails" of the spring would fit under an indentation in each plunger.  If those springs are missing, I have no idea what to do for replacements aside from try to fabricate from scratch using spring steel wire and an original as an example.  However I don't think they're as critical as the item beow. 

Two, very critical, easily replaced, and often missing: a tiny little rubber grommet or washer or gasket (whatever you call those things!) that went over the inner end of each horizontal peg, and lodged in a circular indentation around each peg, for the purpose of keeping the hookswitch plunger restrained on the peg so it wouldn't slip off when the phone was disassembled. 

If the little springy steel wire is present and the rubber washer is not present, it's possible that the plunger attempts to scoot inward and could jam.  Fortunately it's easy to replace the rubber washer. 

Take the phone with its housing loose, in a box, to a good hardware store, and go to the section that sells rubber sink washers.  Try out one after another until you find one that fits neatly into that little groove around the horizontal peg on each side of the hookswitch, and is large enough to stick out a little bit around it but not so much as to jam on the flat metal bracket below it (or jam up at the top where it should have some clear room below the nearest surface of the bakelite plunger itself). 

Buy a handful of those (have some spares for future 1543 repairs, these are often found missing on them).  Home Despot is not the place to go for this, they will think you're trying to steal something.  Orchard Supply Hardware (OSH) is good, any Ace Hardware store should be good, any oldschool purely local hardware store should be good. 

You won't need teflon or steel washers between the rubber washer and the bakelite hookswitch plunger: SC never used any teflon or steel washers there, they weren't necessary.

If the above set of items don't help, post again and I'll grab a 1543 and disassemble it to see what could be going on. 

Kevin Lane

Man, I wish we could get shows like this near where I live!

Kenny C

Quote from: Kevin Lane on May 15, 2011, 12:12:09 AM
Man, I wish we could get shows like this near where I live!

You and me both!!!
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

dsk

Me too. I even don't know any other rotary collectors in the entire nation. (Norway)
A telephone on eBay + $50 in p&p  :-\

dsk

HarrySmith

GG- Thanks. all those items are there, and installed correctly. I noticed they are not symetrical and tried them both ways on both sides. I removed the "plungers" again and tried them in the housing, they will not fit through without pressure anyway I try them, even upside down! The problem is at the front & back, there is clearance on the sides. I have decided to break out the Dremel and remove a little material in the slots. Will post update later today.

ALL- The Maitland show is not exactly next door, I have to drive over 3 hours to get there! Last year I drove 3 days to get to the Shipshewanna show! Maybe not in Norway but in the US you can get to a show if yiou really want to ;)
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

HarrySmith

Took the dremel and removed a little material from the front & back of the slots the "plungers" go in and it works fine.

This phone is available for sale if there is any interest before it goes on ebay!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"