News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Northern Electric 1500 in 500 body

Started by b3tamax11, August 31, 2017, 02:25:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

b3tamax11

I picked up this cool Northern Electric 1500 at an antiques shop recently. Its a 1500 but in the 500 style body which I believe was only made for several years in the 1960s.

HarrySmith

I like those conversions also. The 10 button ones are harder to find. Nice catch!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Dave F

Quote from: HarrySmith on August 31, 2017, 02:44:44 PM
I like those conversions also. The 10 button ones are harder to find. Nice catch!
Harry,

It's true that round retrofit TT faceplates are to be found regularly, but this set is most likely not a conversion.  Original NE 1500s were manufactured this way right from the factory.  This phone should be factory-marked 1500 on the bottom.  In fact, the tougher NE 1500s to find are actually those in the familiar WE-style housings.  Those later versions were manufactured for a truly short time before 2500s were introduced.

DF

HarrySmith

Quote from: Dave F on August 31, 2017, 03:34:39 PM
Harry,

It's true that round retrofit TT faceplates are to be found regularly, but this set is most likely not a conversion.  Original NE 1500s were manufactured this way right from the factory.  This phone should be factory-marked 1500 on the bottom.  In fact, the tougher NE 1500s to find are actually those in the familiar WE-style housings.  Those later versions were manufactured for a truly short time before 2500s were introduced.

DF

Thanks Dave. I did not know that, not very familiar with NE products.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

paul-f

I also like this style, as it looks like the units Western Electric made for field trials, but never put into production in the US.

I have seen Northern Wall sets with a similar dial treatment (1554 and 2554) and ITT sets (sometimes labeled 3554).

Did Northern make other production style sets with these dials and markings -- such as Keysets and Call Directors?
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

twocvbloke

It's quite a nice design idea that, though some would see it as a bodge-job to use up existing parts stock, but to me it works, visually and aesthetically, shame that design never stuck, but I guess the designers at WE had to have something to do... :)

Jim Stettler

Quote from: paul-f on August 31, 2017, 05:42:19 PM
I have seen Northern Wall sets with a similar dial treatment (1554 and 2554) and ITT sets (sometimes labeled 3554).

I have a 12 button SC 554B TDP wall set from 1982. This is a full size wall set.  I suspect TDP stands for Touch Dial Pulse. I have never got around to testing it tho.
Jim S
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Ktownphoneco

Evening folks.    The round T/T face plate was a standard production case used with the 12 button 2500 series wall sets as well.    I would imagine Northern saved some money by not having to redesign and initiate production of a new case with the dial face plate incorporated into the case with 12 button holes.

Jeff Lamb

Dave F

Quote from: paul-f on August 31, 2017, 05:42:19 PM
<snip>... Did Northern make other production style sets with these dials and markings -- such as Keysets and Call Directors?
Interesting question, Paul.  You'll be one of the first people I'll tell if I ever find any!

DF

PS: In case you have never seen one, here is a picture of a NE 1500 factory-built in a WE-style case.

DF

WEBellSystemChristian

Great find, B3tamax!

I would guess these were made for two-line/exclusion applications as well, only using existing parts, which makes sense for a limited-production model.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

tallguy58

Cheers........Bill