News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Gray 500 set on eBay

Started by Doug Rose, September 02, 2011, 10:37:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

I was surprised this didn't sell. I thought Gray was the Holy Grail of 500 sets. Educate me....Doug

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230665806387?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
Kidphone

Dan

I think times are tough, however, if I had this for sale,  I would have taken the $350. Although  it is the ONLY one I need to complete my 500's set, I feel  but sometimes the thrill is in the hunt.

My best analogy is when I used to collect baseball cards and would trade with other kids to get a tom seaver, pete rose, etc. You'd open a pack hoping to complete the series. When they came out with the ENTIRE year for sale, it ruined the fun for me. Forking over $599 as a buy it now is the easy way to get this set, but not the funnest.

Someday there will be one in a box under a table in a yard sale mixed with a black cortelco, and I will be there !
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

JorgeAmely

I agree with Dan; the price is kind of steep.
Jorge

jsowers

This dark gray phone was relisted from an earlier auction where it ended at $393 and didn't meet reserve. The seller lowered the reserve. Evidently not low enough. It's not worth what he thinks it's worth. I think $350 is plenty for one of these. Also, the reserve chases off bidders like crazy, as evidenced by the second go-round being lower than the first.
Jonathan

GG

Thd dial number card on that phone is not original: it was produced on a computer.  A quick glance at originals from that period will show the differences.   It doesn't look bad; it was just added later. 

Agreed, it's more fun to find 'em in unexpected places. 

Dennis Markham

That dial card is one of several that Oldphoneworks sells.  I think it really detracts from the originality of the phone.  It would have been better to list it with no card or at least some type of original card.   To me it's like having a '57 Chevy with an iPod port on the dash board.

I also agree the seller should have been happy with $393 from the first go-round.  My 2c worth.