"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Information on metal SC 1243

Started by JukeboxRick, December 02, 2011, 08:34:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JukeboxRick

Hello all,
This is my very first post on this forum although I have been "lurking" for several weeks! I have enjoyed reading the various posts & am very impressed with the general knowledge base of the forum members & their pleasing & respectful attitudes toward fellow members! Very refreshing.
Any way , hears my inquiry. I,m a novice at this so I,m hoping someone can help me. I,m looking at a very nice metal SC1243 on E-Bay that is being auctioned from Honolulu, HI & I,m wondering If this could be a pre-war telephone? The bottom line is could this phone have been there on Dec. 7,1941?
To me this would have tremendous significance & be very cool!
I have tried to research the production "metal" SC1243 dates in vain! I "hope" their all pre-war, but maybe not? Any help I would appreciate!
                                                                                                                                      Thank you

Wallphone

Welcome to the Forum JukeboxRick, I saw the phone that you are talking about. It's a nice looking phone but according to Old-Time Telephones! by Ralph Meyer, the SC 1243 didn't come out until 1946.
Doug Pav

G-Man

Quote from: JukeboxRick on December 02, 2011, 08:34:42 PMHello all,
 This is my very first post on this forum although I have been "lurking" for several weeks! I have enjoyed reading the various posts & am very impressed with the general knowledge base of the forum members & their pleasing & respectful attitudes toward fellow members! Very refreshing.
 Any way , hears my inquiry. I,m a novice at this so I,m hoping someone can help me. I,m looking at a very nice metal SC1243 on E-Bay that is being auctioned from Honolulu, HI & I,m wondering If this could be a pre-war telephone? The bottom line is could this phone have been there on Dec. 7,1941?
 To me this would have tremendous significance & be very cool!
 I have tried to research the production "metal" SC1243 dates in vain! I "hope" their all pre-war, but maybe not? Any help I would appreciate!
                                                                                                                                      Thank you

I believe the Stromberg Carlson 1243 desk set was introduced post-war. Perhaps others have further information and will correct me if this is wrong.

Since there was a severe shortage immediately after World War II, the Bell System
purchased instruments from S.C. and other independent manufacturers to fill the void.

Here is a Bell System Practice for the S.C. 1243 from the TCI Library:
http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_details&gid=680&Itemid=2

Thanks!

JukeboxRick

Thanks Doug & G-man but i,m "shattered & devastated"!LOL I fantisized this phone be utilized by the original owner to be the first reporting to base headquarters of the incoming aircraft ! ::)
Anyway, its a beautiful telephone & I wonder if the auction price is out of line? $77? ( I,m new at this )
                                                                                                                                  JBRick

GG

That's a bit high considering that 1243s generally go in the $40 - $50 range.  However if it's in particularly good condition and has a straight-line ringer (if there are interior pics on the listing we can spot that), then maybe. 

Also if YOU are in Hawaii, that price is probably reasonable considering the shipping costs between Hawaii and mainland USA.  1243s are very heavy and Hawaii may as well be another country as far as shipping is concerned.  So if you're in HI, it's worthwhile, but if you're on the mainland, you should look for one that's also on the mainland.

1243s are very common so it won't take long to find another one in good condition that's in the same region of the US as you are.

JukeboxRick

Thanks GG,
I think I will keep looking around I guess. I liked the phone but what really attracted me was the possibility that it was 'there' on Dec. 7th! Although they state shipping to anywhere on the mainland is just $12 . I live in southern AZ.
                                                                                                                                              JBRick

Wallphone

Except for SC dials, which I don't like because they never seem to work right, the SC1243 is an underrated phone  but in no way should they be worth more than a WE 302 of the same condition. The reason that WE had a BSP on that phone is as G-Man pointed out  there was a shortage of 302's after the war. The 1243 is very similar electrically to a 302 so the Bell System used them after the war because they couldn't make 302's fast enough. I get a lot of my information from Old-Time Telephones! by Dr. Ralph Meyer. For the newer Forum members out there, my opinion is this is the first book that should be on your book shelf. You can get it at Amazon and many other places. I saw one on eBay a couple of weeks ago that didn't get one bid at $10 so keep your eyes open for one there. Here is an Amazon link. < http://tinyurl.com/82szqff >
Doug Pav

JukeboxRick

Thanks Doug for that information.
That book is what I can really use & its on my "to-do list"! I bought a telephone history book a couple weeks ago but it just briefly tells about the invention of the telephone from the very begning & just the first half dozen years. It was interesting for sure, but the rest of the book was only pictures! I really need a good referance book & it sounds like it,s right up my alley! Take care!
                                                                                                                            JBRick

LarryInMichigan

SC1243s in average condition typically sell for cheap.  The last one I bought on ebay was about $10. 

Larry

GG

Rick, turns out I was mistaken.  I saw the listing, and shipping is flat-rate $12 to anywhere in the US.   So my point about shipping costs was an error.

The one you found is in darn good condition and has the original SC dial. 

OTOH, as others have pointed out, SC 1243s are going for lower prices generally.

Interesting point by Doug there, I never knew the Bell System had used SC 1243s or that there was a 302 shortage after WW2.   It would never have occurred to me that WE ever had trouble producing gazillions of anything:-)

JukeboxRick

Thanks Larry & GG!
Larry, I have to say I,m simply "amazed" at some of the phones forum members are fortunate to find & then purchase phones for! I live in extreme south eastern AZ & the pick'ins are very slim. Last Saturday I drove 100 miles  (round trip ) to go to the "closest swapmeet" ( flea market back east ) & nothing but pure junk! Not a single telephone except cheap throw-away cordless inports! I then looked around at garage sales & same-o-same-o! I envy you guys! But Larry, not your weather!LOL! ( I,m a native Detroiter but grew up in Clawson 14 miles north of there. )
GG, that shiping price of 12 bucks is what first caught my attention. Coming from HI I thought I would first buy the phone & then the BOAT! Actually, shiping is what I look at first. I have seen  so many items on E-Bay where shiping costs surpass the item cost. I,m sure you have to! Crazy out there!
Anyway, I "know" I can get great help from fellow forum members! Great forum!!

Wallphone

If you see a phone that you like on eBay but the shipping charges look outrageous, click on the "See All Details" to the right of the shipping charges and sometimes the price listed will be for the highest priced shipping option. Sometimes after clicking on the options you will see more reasonable means of shipping it. And sometimes the seller is just out of their mind and want to make a larger profit on shipping than they do for the phone.
Doug Pav