Cracked blue 302

Started by ETS1979, March 06, 2010, 11:42:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

baldopeacock

ET, you are ze Arteest.   :)

Tom B

Tom

ETS1979

Good news! The handset plastic was not like the case plastic at all.  I was able to polish it to a high lustre with no fine scratches and none of the scuffing I had so much trouble with on the case.  I know it is probably difficult to see in the photos but the handset does look quite a lot better than the case.   There is one visible flaw in the handset, however.  If you look in the upper left hand corner of the handset you can see a small white spot.  It looks like there was a bubble in the plastic.  I did not want to polish it out for fear of having to go too deep into the plastic and end up distorting the contour of the surrounding area.  I cleaned out the white polish residue you see in the bubble to help reduce its visibility a little. 

baldopeacock

That's shinier than my bald spot, if that's possible.   Looks great, ET.   Put that baby together, let's see the finished product.   How about a good look under the hood while you're at it?

JorgeAmely

ETS:

You are setting the phone restoration standards way high. I think we should be warned about highly polished phone parts to give us a chance to put shades on.   ;D ;D ;D
Jorge

ETS1979

Another step forward.  I completed polishing of the little pieces shown in the photo.  I included a before and after picture of the plungers.  Total time spent polishing these items was about 3 hours.

HarrySmith

WOW, very nice ;D
I never tried polishing fingerwheels or plungers. What do you use on them?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

ETS1979

I usually follow the same routine with clear plastic pieces as I do with the colored ones.  I start with 800-1000G sandpaper and move up through 3000G and then switch to rubbing compound and then a cleaner wax.   The exception to this was the above mentioned problem with the scuffing marks that appeared with fine polishing.  While I was experimenting with this problem I discovered a pretty good rubbing compound.  Mequier's "Ultimate Compound" cuts pretty well without leaving scratches.

ETS1979

I have now reinstalled the dial and switchhook assembly.  All that is left to do before final reassembly is to polish the two receiver caps.  The end is in sight!

baldopeacock

Can't wait to see the finished product, ET.   

ETS1979

Another step forward.  I finished polishing this handset cap today.  There are a few hairline cracks.  Other than that the polishing was uneventful...  On another subject, I have a phone listed on Ebay. (150551006866)  It is a 1941 dated Ivory 302 that I have had for several years.  I recently acquired another so I am selling this one.  See "auction talk" for details on the recently acquired one. (Ivory bidding contest started by Baldopeacock)

HarrySmith

Fantastic job!
Was that Ivory one at the Maitland show?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

ETS1979

I have unfortunately never been to a phone show, so if it was there, it would have been before I owned it.

HarrySmith

OK, I was looking at one last week at the show that looked just like that one!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

ETS1979

It's finished!  I have lots more pictures but I don't want to blow up the forum server!! So I will post just a few for now.  I was pleased with the way my homeade photo shop dial card turned out.  It matches pretty well and looks fairly realistic.  The phone number was obscured for privacy reasons, but I think you will get the idea.