News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

For Your Presidential Phone

Started by Adam, March 13, 2012, 12:13:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adam

While surfing around the internet for something else, I came across this image.  Printed at the proper size, it makes a wonderful rotary dial number card for your Call Director, red 500 or any other telephone in your collection you may consider Presidential.

I printed it set at 1.5 inches, you may have to experiment with your own printer settings to get it to print at the proper size, but the tweaking necessary is worth it.  The end result is very impressive looking, IMO.

Enjoy!

BTW: My page of "real" Presidential phones: http://www.manufacturediscontinued.com/exhibits/telephones/presidential-telephones-of-the-united-states.html
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

Phonesrfun

I did that a couple of years ago.  Here is a Call Director I used it on and dummied up some desi strips with some interesting names.  I had this photo sitting on Colin Chamber's web site for a while, along with a dummy story that I was once standing on Pennsylvania Avenue in DC (minding my own business) when suddenly a phone company truck pulled out of the White House driveway and dropped a phone onto the sidewalk that I grabbed.

-Bill G

Adam

Adam Forrest
C*Net 1-383-4820

dpaynter1066

Havent been in the prez's nor any VIP offices but the ones I've seen around and about in the executive office of the President (Ron Emmanuel's turf at the time) just had "white house switchboard" and an extension or something like that on them. 

This is way cooler.

Adam

As I occasionally rotate through my favorite phones on my desk, I finally today got around to installing the logo I posted above to my Call Director.

Notice it's a Northern Electric Call Director, so this phone could possibly be from a joint Canada/US task force operation.  :)
Adam Forrest
C*Net 1-383-4820

Phonesrfun

Quote from: dpaynter1066 on March 13, 2012, 04:06:52 PM
Havent been in the prez's nor any VIP offices but the ones I've seen around and about in the executive office of the President (Ron Emmanuel's turf at the time) just had "white house switchboard" and an extension or something like that on them. 

This is way cooler.

Those guys in the real world just don't know how to do drama!

Actually, I was noticing when they did kind of an open house at the white house documentary shortly after Obama took office, they showed two phones on several desks, and they looked like they were from different systems.  Probably one set of phones for run of the mill unsecured business, and another that are highly secured like a modern version of the Autovon system.

None of them were red,  They were all black.  I guess if the red phone in the White House rings at 3:00am, they would all run around looking for the source of the ringing.
-Bill G

flingwing1969

It's sure fun to have fun!  GREAT stuff.

dpaynter1066

I read once that for a long time the Hotline to the Kremlin was a teletype and not an actual red telephone.  They wanted time to stall and  think about what they were going to say and needed a translator to type and read replies.  I'm told it was feared a telephone conversation would get out of hand too easy and end in a shouting match. Dunno when it went to a real phone.

Now days, I suppose he would pick up a phone, hear an actual lady operator say "White House Switchboard" and ask to be put through to the Kremlin. That way, Putin wont have his cell phone number and be drunk texting him all the time

At the time, I was amazed that in the 21st century in one of the most technologically advanced countries in the world, the white house telephone system revolves around actual female switchboard operators.  You can directly dial most extensions, but if you do not have need to know or its a certain one, you have to ask the operator to connect you.

It probably takes a lot of 555 switchboards I guess.

You can always call and ask Mr. Obama  if the presidential seal is on his phone and what color the phone is you know.

WH Switchboard: 202-456-1414

It's a public number listed on

http://www.whitehouse.gov/contact/write-or-call#callCall the President

Phonesrfun

"I'm telling you, I need a bigger phone!  More buttons"
-Bill G

gpo706

I think LBJ has the termination for a transatlantic cable going in the end of that set!
"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

Adam

That's a six-row Call Director.  It connects via a 150 pair cable with 6 25 pair amphenol connectors.

Don't know where the pic below came from, it is part of my phone pic stash that I've collected from the internet.  I think it purports to the be the actual phone from above, but I don't think that's correct, because President Johnson's phones were rotary (not touch tone).  But it is a very similar set to the phone in the pic above.
Adam Forrest
C*Net 1-383-4820

paul-f

It would be interesting to see the model number and BSP for that set. 
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Phonesrfun

I think LBJ should have just moved the White House switchboard into the oval office.  I think he was really a control freak and liked having phones, TV's and TTYs at his fingertips.
-Bill G

flingwing1969

Right on.  LBJ had two call directors one green one on his desk and a white one behind his desk near the wall, as this photo shows, he also had another white one he could use elsewhere in the Oval Office - all rotary dial.