"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Let's identify this wall phone

Started by Pourme, March 17, 2019, 09:14:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pourme

~

One of my favorite collectible store owners opened a second store. Upon my first visit he showed me a phone that puzzled me. It's a wood phone but with a Bakelite handset.  The hand set definitely not WE or branded at all. I have included all the branding I could find and will provide several pics. He wants $125.00 for it. He always gives me a break.

What do you think?
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

Pourme

Benny

Doug Rose

Kidphone

Pourme

I wasn't sure if that was the name of the brand of the phone or if that was just a component of the phone, thanks.

Any one know anything about it's history?
Benny

poplar1

Note the Telephone Repair and Supply Co. label inside. Both TR&S  and Suttle Equipment Co. assembled phones using new wooden cases + refurbished or new parts.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Pourme

~

That label was the part that puzzled me.
Benny

Western Bell

Quote from: poplar1 on March 17, 2019, 09:50:01 AM
Note the Telephone Repair and Supply Co. label inside. Both TR&S  and Suttle Equipment Co. assembled phones using new wooden cases + refurbished or new parts.

That makes sense since it seems the word "Connecticut" on that component was stamped or crossed out indicating it was reused, taken from another item and used to build this phone in a wood box.

RB

That is a very nice well built phone! I like the schematic layout.
Very rugged and a last forever assembly application for sure.
That said, did anybody notice...or is it just me...
That phone was built with the sound grill facing at you.
Which put the handset hangin from the left side,
in what appears to be a meant to be hung on the front of the box hook ???

Pourme

That ringer is quite the set up...I'd like to hear it ring!
Benny

dsk

For me it looks like an field-telephone EE-8 in a non military design. 

dsk

rdelius

As mentioned in a previous post, these were assembled by Telephone Repair and supply out of wwll surplus parts. The Connecticut grill was a radio speaker grill most likely. The logo is not crossed out. It is as used. $125 seems high, wooden sets do not bring much these days unless the are rare sets.

RB

Pourme

~

That thought crossed my mind too. That cradle looks a bit bulky.

Of course, if it was indeed made post war using used parts, that would fit that narrative.

Does that handset look familiar? It has no markings. I think I have seen that "diamond" cut looks familiar. 
Benny

rdelius

The handset might be a Federal  or a CTE.The parts could have been excess military surplus parts not necessary used .WWll ended and the military canceled contracts and lots of parts and complete sets  were unwanted.

HowardPgh

This phone looks like its form the same timeframe as the desk top magneto phones that looked table radios.
Howard