News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Hammered Silver 302 on ebay

Started by Doug Rose, December 20, 2017, 05:45:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

I always admired the finish on these phones, but thought the price for them was high. Someone wasn't happy when they got it. $80 delivered is a good deal. Cords look like black cloth. About 1/3 of what I have seen them go for. I do love the 302s. I hope it survives the shipping....Doug

https://tinyurl.com/y7keyual
Kidphone

Pourme

I like that look. Lowe's has rattle cans with that kind of paint, I've used it for other projects but never on a phone. Is this supposed to be a professional paint job?

Makes me want to go to Lowe's!
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

Dan/Panther

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

TelePlay

That is a nice looking, well thought out 302 paint job.

It wasn't but a few years ago that painted phones were highly frowned upon but over the past year, more and more have surfaced on eBay. Some honestly stating the phone had been painted, others not (maybe they didn't know). I think we all remember that hot pink 302, that was considered hideous, as about the turning point toward painting phones nicely to sell them.

This is just another example of a painted phone. Looks nice, even with the orange peel. However, the purist days of as built on eBay are moving into history with the increase of these painted phones. Not saying good or bad, just saying (and it makes selecting phones for auction contests a bit more difficult, have to look a lot closer).

Some, like Mazda-Matt's and this topic's subject are very well done, some less so. There seems to have been a paradigm shift in painted phone acceptance within the last year or two. And then there is the question of what is "professionally painted" vs. "other."

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Stomberg-Carlson-Rotary-Desk-Telephone-Red/263397427941

Doug Rose

I think mine is an OPW. Cloth cords and a buffed black F1 with a 66.7% discount.....Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

I finally received it today and it is really nice. If it is OPW, a stellar job.  As soon as I picked the box of the porch I was surprised. it was a Metal 302! Superb paint job. Polished F1 handset and New black cloth cords. First class all the way. I removed the dial card and put an oldie on and it is a keeper....Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

I find the correct dial card just changes the personality of a phone. Fenway Park is right out side of Kenmore Square.....Dogg
Kidphone

Fabius

Quote from: TelePlay on December 21, 2017, 01:28:44 PM

It wasn't but a few years ago that painted phones were highly frowned upon.

I still frown. IMHO the antique value is diminished. Though I understand that they can still be enjoyed for the artistic or decor value.

Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

RotarDad

While I prefer original phones, I think there's a place these "alternative" phones.  If metal 302s were produced in the 50's and 60's, we might have seen these hammered industrial finishes.   And in this case, the phone was probably built from a metal shell that had bad paint and some surface corrosion anyway.  I like it, Doug.
Paul

Doug Rose

thanks Paul.....all metal phones were painted when built, not like this, but they were painted or plated.

I agree with the detractors as well, this is not the way they should look. I keep seeing old phones dressed up with splashy new colors and even splashier prices!

That being said, there is just something about this finish. Its not smooth, but feels cool.  It's like the old Stealer's Wheel song, "stuck in the middle with you." I am stuck in the middle as I am fighting both sides of the battle.

I just like this phone...Doug

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DohRa9lsx0Q
Kidphone

WEBellSystemChristian

Hey Doug, you were right, an OPW creation!

www.ebay.com/itm/122887821016
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

AE_Collector

I'd call this a "coulda been" finish since there were many factory finishes available, just not this one. As compared to some of the phone finish creations seen on eBay this one is likeable. It's somewhat like some of the phone lamps...if made from readily available phones like AE40's or 302's to some extent it helps encourage interest in old phones. It is just the occasional rare hard to find phone that some unknowing person ruined that is upsetting.

Terry

RotarDad

It sounds like we can appreciate alternative paint schemes, in many cases.  However, I bet we all draw the the line at decoupage and rhinestones.....  :)
Paul

HarrySmith

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on December 30, 2017, 11:12:01 AM
Hey Doug, you were right, an OPW creation!

www.ebay.com/itm/122887821016

Hey Matt, since Doug got his for $80.00 will you take a Buy It Now on this one??
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Doug Rose

Harry....it was $80 with free shipping.....''twas a deal....Doug
Kidphone