News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Are the early two tones really THIS VALUABLE?

Started by Dan, February 08, 2009, 10:01:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

benhutcherson

By the way, one of the parts dealers out there on the web has NOS 5302 shells. They're in the neighborhood of $20-30 as I recall. That's significantly more expensive than the auction is running now, but it wouldn't surprise if, when it's all said and done and the smoke clears, the auction ends up running about the same price per shell.

5302 shells seem relatively easy to find, but there are a couple of proprietary 5302 parts that are nigh on impossible to find. The dial bezels are the most visible, but there's also some other hardware. Things like the bracket that allows the ringer volume to be adjusted.

BDM

Quote from: benhutcherson on February 13, 2009, 10:35:44 AM
There's no question that an F-1 is one of the worst designs out there if you like to talk hands-free, except perhaps for a thin cell phone that doesn't have anything for your shoulder to grip.

I think that the G-1 handset is the best out there for hands-free use, especially with one of those shoulder pads that you sometimes see attached to them.

100% agree!! I once read an article in one of the phone club news letters, that this was a big complaint with the F1 back in it's day. I have a couple of shoulder supports that are specifically for the F1 handset. The G handset is still the easiest to cradle to this day. The E1 is fairly easy also.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

HobieSport

Well I'm glad someone finally said it!  The F1 handset is indeed very awkward!
Not ergonomic at all and heavy.  What's with that ridge shape anyway?
Well, it looks cool, but...I wonder if folks even thought about shoulder gripping back then.

I'm just guessing here (as usual) but my theories go like this.  In those days, Dreyfuss, being a somewhat conservative designer, had to sell his designs to the manufacturers and convince them that it would increase sales.  So form didn't always follow function, and he couldn't part too much from previous designs.  He writes about that in his books.  As he became more and more respected and trusted, and studied ergonomics more and more, he was able to make the radical shift to the good ol' G1 on the 500.  Just my '02., 'natch.

winkydink

Quote from: benhutcherson on February 13, 2009, 10:43:39 AM

5302 shells seem relatively easy to find, but there are a couple of proprietary 5302 parts that are nigh on impossible to find. The dial bezels are the most visible, but there's also some other hardware. Things like the bracket that allows the ringer volume to be adjusted.

I thought that the 5302's ringer was not ajustable.  I have never held one in my hand (not that I know of ), but from pictures it seemed to me that the ringer volume dial wheel of the 500 has a space on the 5302, but is absent.  Is this an internal adjustment ?

BDM

I believe that handset was designed with form more than function in mind. Just MHO............................ It is a good looking design, in that it has a more modern look than the E1. Too bad it's function didn't surpass it's predecessor. I find the F1 more awkward in use in every way. Handling, shouldering, etc..... Again, this is strictly my opinion. Your mileage may vary  ;D

Yeah, ya gotta be careful when questioning anything that has a W.E. stamp on it. You can draw some serious fire and disdain! Go into a radio forum, and start telling folks how you're not on the Zenith Radio Corp band wagon, and watch the cybernet pitchforks and firesticks come out in force!!
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

bingster

Quote from: BDM on February 13, 2009, 02:11:15 PMGo into a radio forum, and start telling folks how you're not on the Zenith Radio Corp band wagon, and watch the cybernet pitchforks and firesticks come out in force!!
Bow to the Zenith gods, knave!! ;D

I think the ridged back on the F1 may have been put there to prevent shouldering the handset (although I've always been able to do it without problem).  I've read that the Bell System was very unhappy that the G handsets were so easy to shoulder, because it quickly became apparent that the flat back design caused the receiver to move under the chin when shouldered, impairing function. 
= DARRIN =

BDM

Could be Bing. But it's only helped with the function for me ;)
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

HobieSport

Quote from: bingster
I think the ridged back on the F1 may have been put there to prevent shouldering the handset (although I've always been able to do it without problem).  I've read that the Bell System was very unhappy that the G handsets were so easy to shoulder, because it quickly became apparent that the flat back design caused the receiver to move under the chin when shouldered, impairing function. 

Now there is an interesting take that I never would have thought of; that the F1 may have been purposefully designed for anti-shoulder use.  Plus, knowing Henry Dreyfuss a little, maybe he didn't want shouldering either as he was so very concerned with ergonomics?  Well heck I hope the Phone God's don't strike me down for just trying to guess. ;)

Perry

I have no idea of the truthfulness of the statement, but I have read that the F1 handset was purposely designed to be hard to "shoulder" or to hold for long periods to discourage people from spending too much time on the phone (tying up party lines, etc.). I doubt if it's really true, but it would fit in with the philosophy of "is this call really necessary?"

rp2813

I think the idea of anti-shouldering strategy makes some sense.  With the E1 being relatively easy to shoulder and people were likely doing this with the "bullet" type of transmitter, there's no question that there would be an audio problem on the other end.  Maybe Ma Bell/WE didn't do enough testing on the F1 transmitter capsules to realize they could accomodate shouldering, or it was a case of being stodgy and not wanting to budge on their position regarding the practice.  I suppose when you consider how poor the audio was on long distance calls even into the 1960's, there was still sound logic behind the Bell System's advice to speak directly into the mouthpiece.

The most impressive bit of shouldering I've seen was I think by Cary Grant where he did it with a candlestick model's earpiece.  I don't remember what movie it was.

Ralph
Ralph

McHeath

QuoteWell heck I hope the Phone God's don't strike me down for just trying to guess.

ZAP :o!!!!

Now here comes a real shocker People of the Forum, but I've never used an F series handset.  I've only held a few in stores, and noted that they are heavy, big, and the grip is weird.  Now I'm going to have to get one and try to use it and see what I think.  I have used many a K series handset and don't like them as much as the G series, they are lower, so it seems, and harder to cradle.  I recall when I got my first cell phone and did the natural thing of sticking in between my ear and shoulder to work about the kitchen one day, holy ergonomic disaster Batman! 

Dennis Markham

I have been using one of my green 202's on my work bench.  I like the sound of the ringer box and enjoy using the phone....until I get a call while I'm working.  It is pretty much impossible to use both hands and wedge that F1 handset between my shoulder and my ear.  I also think the green enamel paint adds to the difficulty because it's slippery.  So unless one has one of those shoulder holders, it's very tough to use hands free.

BDM

Quote from: winkydink on February 13, 2009, 06:25:05 AM
Quote from: McHeath on February 12, 2009, 10:42:59 PM
That's a nice collection you have there Ben, very nice.  I don't have any straight cords on my 500s but certainly have been looking.  Oldphoneworks does not have the correct cords, which is odd, so I'm left prowling e-bay.  I too need to get a 5302 as an example of good old repurposing, it would really be cool to find one in a color of any sort.

These are not in colors but this is a very interesting auction.  6 NOS 5302 shells.  If anyone happens to purchase this lot I might be interested in one of the shells.  I don't have a 5302 yet, but thats on the radar screen.

http://tinyurl.com/5302NOSShells

I would think an auction like this does not come around too often.

-WD

Ok, who bought them?
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

rp2813

I have only seen the bottom of a 5302 in a photo, but there is indeed a ringer adjustment.  It's a small sliding lever that appears not to have much travel.  I don't know if it works in the same way as the thumbwheel on a 500 model or not, since I don't yet own a 5302.  From what I've read, part of the design requirements for the 5302 included the ringer adjustment to be added to the 302 base since once subscribers became aware that the 500 had an adjustable ringer, there was a huge demand for that feature.  So although Ma Bell was tricking rural customers into thinking they were getting a new 500, she did at least provide them with the ringer adjustment everybody wanted. 

Ralph
Ralph

JimH

The 5302 does indeed have a ringer adjustment.  It's a lever arrangement that was retrofitted to the 302-style ringer.  It fastens under one of the foot screws inside and one of the gongs fastens to the top part of it.  A very small lever sticks out of one of the vent holes on the bottom, and when you move it, it adjusts the distance of the gong to the clapper.  It doesn't work as well as a 500's ringer, but it does give you some ringer volume control.  These levers can easily be added to a regular 302, also.
Jim H.