News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Bringing Phones Back from the Dead - Notable Refurbs

Started by Doug Rose, May 05, 2014, 06:30:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

I'll nominate this 5302 I got some time back.  Although it functioned as-is when I got it, it was in the worst shape of any phone I've had, and I spent the most amount of time cleaning it up.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=3039.0
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Gilas

Here is a Pekin I got the other day and just finished. 

AE40FAN

Gilas,

I watched this auction which I believe ended last week.  Judging by the photo I thought the phone had badly faded to an orange.   Quick turnaround and it looks fantastic!

-Frank

Gilas

It was in much better shape than I thought.  The guy said no cracks but figured I would find some stress cracks in the handset at least, however there is absolutely nothing.  One of the nicest ones I have seen. No issues with the cords or anything. Goes on Ebay this week to support my candlestick habit.  Now that I have alot of the more common ones trying to obtain the next rung up gets spendy.

Matilo Telephones

Maybe we could have a restoration of the year contest at the end of the year.
Groeten,

Arwin

Check out my telephone website: http://www.matilo.eu/?lang=en

And I am on facebook too: www.facebook.com/matilosvintagetelephones

AE40FAN

Quote from: Gilas on May 20, 2014, 10:48:57 AM
It was in much better shape than I thought.  The guy said no cracks but figured I would find some stress cracks in the handset at least, however there is absolutely nothing.  One of the nicest ones I have seen. No issues with the cords or anything. Goes on Ebay this week to support my candlestick habit.  Now that I have alot of the more common ones trying to obtain the next rung up gets spendy.

It's in great shape.  You seem to do well with your flips.  You could possibly double your money...

AE_Collector

Quote from: Matilo Telephones on May 20, 2014, 11:25:55 AM
Maybe we could have a restoration of the year contest at the end of the year.

John and I actually just had a discussion about that. We weren't sure if it was a real good idea or not considering the amount of work put into each and every one of them. They are all winners and to try to pick one out of a large group that is better than the others may not lend itself well to a competition where you can only see a couple of before and after pictures. The pictures don't tell the whole story at all.

But, we may be wrong. What do others think? If this turns into much of a discussion I will seperate the discussion out of this topic into its own topic.

Terry

Matilo Telephones

You have a point there. It was just an idea. I like before and after pics, so I thought we could stimulate that. There are other ways to do that.
Groeten,

Arwin

TelePlay

This collection of "Notable Refurbs"  post above can be seen in the CRPF Gallery at this link:

This link is also permanently available at the top of the very first post in this topic making it easy to find as more "notable refurbs" are posted here and added to the current collection of the first 12 posted in that gallery.

Enjoy!

unbeldi

unbeldi

Here is a restoration of an ivory 354 housing and base that came badly looking without a handset for about $25. A new handset with cord was about another $25. The rest was simply work.

Base plate:  M3 4-54 9R-I-57
Housing: M3, ? 5 55
Handset: F1/F4 (T1,U1) 1955
Dial: 6D, 8-55
Ringer: B2AL 5-54
coil: IND 101B, II 54
capacitor:  195A II 54

HarrySmith

I have done a few that were in rough shape but this Stromberg Carlson 1543 has to be the worst!! I picked this phone up at the show in Maitland Florida a few years back in a box of phones I bought. Cleaned up nice and sold it on eBay!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Matilo Telephones

Wow, Harry. Was that 1543 retrieved from the sewer?
Groeten,

Arwin

HarrySmith

I do not know where it came from but I bought a whole box so I figure it only cost me about $4.00 so I did ok with it!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

BDM

Nice job Harry. I gotta admit, I probably would have carefully dropped that phone into the trash. But hey, nice job. A little effort goes a long way!
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI