News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Transmitter for Design Line Candlestick Telephone

Started by Bingles, June 01, 2015, 07:49:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bingles

Hi!!  I have a Design Line Candlestick telephone from the early 70s. The transmitter element is not the best... it sounds rather "tiny" when speaking into it. I'd like to replace it with a new one, but not sure what part to get.  It looks like a transmitter used on my WE 500, but instead of just sitting on top of the two prongs, there are two wires that screw into the back of this element (not soldered in, screwed in).

Anyone know which part this would be?

Thanks!

RotoTech99

The transmitter used in Design Line Candlesticks is a T-1 (The same transmitter used in 500, 2500, and other sets of the 50's through the 80's.

Does your transmitter have two round metal bands on the center contacts with a screw in a tab on each one? Those are Western Electric transmitter contacts for the WE part equipped Design Line candlestick.

Send a photo and I can tell you for sure, but I am pretty sure the contacts on your Candlestick's transmitter are WE supplied.

Other than that, if you have more T-1 transmitter capsules, try a few and see which ones work best.

BTW: It doesn't matter if the T-1 transmitter is by WE, ITT, SC or NT (Northern Telecom), they will all fit your Candlestick.

paul-f

Also, try your transmitter in another phone.  If it works elsewhere, you may have other problems to find, such as dirty contacts or failing cords or spade tips.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Bingles

Hi!!!  Upon close inspection, it did have the metal band connectors. I swapped out the transmitter with one from a WE 500 and the phone works great!!  Thanks folks!

RotoTech99

You're welcome... I've dealt with a number of ATC sets with WE internals with that transmitter contact, and I find them easier to service than the ATC contact set where the wire is soldered to them.

~RotoTech99