News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Stromberg Carlson 554-B not ringing

Started by benkeys, February 06, 2012, 09:47:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adam

Yeah, sometimes you have to be creative when searching on eBay as people frequently don't know the technical terms for things.

I searched for "telephone ringer" and found:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200710914902
http://www.ebay.com/itm/170673794369
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

benkeys

I dont see spending 15.00 for a new ringer. I rather try to make the current one ring. On the schematic, it said refer to another diagram for superimposed ringing, so i found that schematic, but it only listed the 425-A not the 425-B whick is the junction block in my phone. It also stated to tie the slate wires to store... i have no clue what that means.. btw my ringer is riveted in.. it would be a royal pain to remove it.
Ben K...  1960 WE 500 and 1972 SC 554   Always enjoying the sound of a phone with a bell ringer ringing....

Adam

You have a Stromberg-Carlson 554 wall phone with the ringer riveted in?  Really?  It should be held on with two screws.  Can we see a picture of that?  I've never heard of one like that before.

When you see "store" on a telephone schematic, that means to cover the spade end of the lead with tape so that it can't electrically touch anything, and position it somewhere so that it doesn't get in the way of any moving part.
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

benkeys

my bad, its not riveted. I thought it was attached on the back of the phone, but that was the ringer level adjustment. So, if i unhook those wires will that get me anywhere? I just removed the whole ringer. I'd like to bench test it to see if works outside of a phone.
Ben K...  1960 WE 500 and 1972 SC 554   Always enjoying the sound of a phone with a bell ringer ringing....

LarryInMichigan

Disconnect the capacitor on the ringer and wire the ringer to the network as described earlier.  You may be able to adjust the ringer by loosening screws or cutting the reed to which the clapper arm is connected.

Larry

benkeys

So i remove the cap and then hook the red and black wires into the line terminals and the slate wires to a and k?

benkeys

GOT IT!!!!!!!!!!! Shes ringing again!!! Sounds awsome.. At first it was a slight ring, but with a little adjusting it sounds like its supposed to.. Thanks for the info guys, and when i get another phone i will be back.