News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

mobile rotary phone

Started by jarwulf, May 23, 2014, 07:31:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jarwulf

Thanks in part to help here. I've finally managed to get this to work. Its crude but it does what its supposed to do.

http://youtu.be/gMRhzTI0Z2o

Biggest enemy was always space, unlike the deskphone examples that you usually see the candlestick has even less space. In the end I managed to fit most everything in the phone itself but had to relegate the battery to an outside box. I want to continue to work on it but sadly the platform I'm using already is being pushed to its modest limits so I'm not sure if that will be possible. I tried to not actually break as much of the phone as I could so its theoretically possible to put everything back together as before except for a wire that was accidentally clipped.

Matilo Telephones

Woa! That is good jarwulf!
Groeten,

Arwin

Check out my telephone website: http://www.matilo.eu/?lang=en

And I am on facebook too: www.facebook.com/matilosvintagetelephones

Kenton K

That's cool! Would you mind telling us how you did it?

I built one from a kit but I would be interested a from scratch build.

Thanks-K

TelePlay

In case that YouTube vid ever goes away, this is what it looks like, the one on the right.

jarwulf

Quote from: Kenton K on May 24, 2014, 08:43:37 PM
That's cool! Would you mind telling us how you did it?

I built one from a kit but I would be interested a from scratch build.

Thanks-K

The phone is based off an arduino uno which is part of the reason I'm  not sure it can be improved much beyond its current form. Sparkfun was an early inspiration and the only detailed source of directly related info if you don't dig deeply but once you get down to it doesn't provide much in the way of useful information at least for someone at my level. I went back and forth initially with using an old cellphone, a cellmodule, or making a bluetooth headset but eventually settled on the straight out phone path.

For the hardware side I eventually pieced together a variety of articles on the structure and function of individual components plus the help of a few different communities. I've done a little programming on the side so that helped a bit when it came to putting together the firmware. Overall I'm sure this project would be pretty easy for an electrical engineer or phone technician with some knowledge of relevant outside areas.

I would like to add some sort of display as a next step but putting aside the ergonomics of it I'm already using most of the available ports so it might be a nogo. The other arduino boards tend to be more powerful but bigger, the uno barely fits at all, or shrunken versions of the uno which are more difficult to work with. On the plus side this is the first mobile candlestick I'm aware of, well there is one other a few years back which was basically a cellphone graft but I don't think that one had a real working bell.