News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Cheap Japanese Phone - More Pictures Posted

Started by LarryInMichigan, May 13, 2012, 05:05:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LM Ericsson

Are there any brand markings on the bottom or inside of the phone such as NEC, OKI etc?
Regards,
-Grayson

LarryInMichigan

"NTK" inside of a diamond is stamped into the bottom and on some of the internal parts.  There is also a logo with three long narrow leaves in a triangular arrangement, sort of like the Mitsubishi logo, stamped into the dial and hook switch.  The bottom of the phone has "600-A2", which I assume is the model number, stamped into it.

I just discovered that one of the ringer gongs is cracked and therefore make a thud when struck.  The gong and screw are badly rusted and fused to the ringer base, so replacing them will be difficult if not impossible.

Larry

LM Ericsson

That is a shame about the cracked bell. I'm assuming that the logo is the Mitsubishi logo because Mitsubishi did produce telephones over in Japan.
Regards,
-Grayson

LarryInMichigan

Below is a picture of the logo on the back of the dial.  I don't think that it is a Mitsubishi logo.

The overall quality of this phone is horrible.  Everything is about as cheap as can be.

Larry

LM Ericsson

I just searched the evolution of the Mitsubishi logo. The old logo does look similar to that logo on the dial.
Regards,
-Grayson

LarryInMichigan

The redbar did start its life as a Select-O-Phone, but it has been converted to a real phone.

Larry

Russ Kirk

Quote from: LM Ericsson on May 17, 2012, 05:32:40 PM
I just searched the evolution of the Mitsubishi logo. The old logo does look similar to that logo on the dial.

The three oak leaf design was replaced with the middle design in 1870.  The final design was adopted in 1914. The final design does not look like the design on the phone.  if i had to bet, it is not a Mitsubishi logo on the back of the dial.
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

LarryInMichigan

ebay link

Here we go again.  This looks like an ugly beige color, but it was cheap.  Perhaps LM Ericsson would like to trade for one of his gray ones ;).

Larry

dsk

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on May 17, 2012, 05:23:49 PM
  Everything is about as cheap as can be.

Larry

Yes but this one went for less than a dollar, If I not had to pay about $50 for postage it would have been worth it  ;)

dsk

LarryInMichigan

The beige Japanese phone arrived today.  The color is much more agreeable than I had expected.  The cords are actually a nice contrasting dark brown, almost gray, color.  The shell, handset, and finger wheel have the "Toshiba" name molded into the plastic.

I gave the phone a quick try.  I was able to dial into my voice mail and leave a message, but the sound quality in both directions was very poor.  I hope that it will be better once everything has been cleaned and reassembled.

Larry

LM Ericsson

I know the bells on those Toshibas are tinkly sounding. My OKI and NEC have nice resonate sounding bells.
Regards,
-Grayson

LarryInMichigan

LM,

I saw that you have a wiring diagram for one of your phones.  Could you possibly post a scan of it?  The TCI library might also be able to benefit from it.

Thank You

Larry

LM Ericsson

I will try to get it scanned. I have off from school tomorrow!!
Regards,
-Grayson

LarryInMichigan

I finished cleaning and reassembling the phone, and it works fairly well now.  The static is gone.  The connectors at the ends of all of the wires were very oxidized, so I cleaned them all.  I also gave a good tapping to the transmitter.  The sound quality from the transmitter is now much better, but not as good as with a T1.

The phone has alot of sidetone, similar to a British GPO 700 series.  I would like to know if there is some way to rearrange the wires to reduce it.

Below is a picture of the phone next to a beige WE 500 so that you can see the difference in color.  The Japanese phone is a much paler beige.

Larry

LM Ericsson

My NEC(left) and OKI(right)  side-by-side. & a video http://tinyurl.com/bxkdpw8
Regards,
-Grayson