News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Found this in the trash - 302 c/w E1 Handset

Started by persido, September 08, 2012, 04:40:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

persido

No I have not, Im new to this, I do not know the first step to make it work, maybe there is a place to bring it to in my area. If anyone knows a place, please let me know....thanks

Doug Rose

open the jack up and take a picture. Find a line cord for a telephone. Connecte the red and green wires that are on the jack to the red and green wires of your modular telphoen cord and plug it in. We worry about ringing later, if need....Doug
Kidphone

poplar1

Persido, would you mind looking at the back of the dial and tell us if it is stamped 4H or 5H? The dial will also have a date which is may be III37 (third quarter 1937). I think this phone has all the original parts (matching dates) which makes it more collectible. Thanks.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

LarryInMichigan

There is a picture showing the back of the dial, and the "W" contact is in the position for a #4 dial.  Also, the finger stop is long and thin like a #4 dial finger stop.

Larry

HowardPgh

Fantastic find-and it looks all original.
Old style baseplate with soldered spade terminals and 101A in opposite orientation from the later 302s.
What an exciting find!!!!!!!
Howard
Howard

poplar1

Larry, some of the early 5H have the contacts with the W near the governor, and brass screws. I have trouble discerning finger stops correctly other than that they are noticeably shorter from 1946 on. I am particularly interested in the fact that this phone has the original E1 handset in 8-37 and so I am curious about the dial as well.

TelePlay

Quote from: HowardPgh on September 09, 2012, 05:28:37 PM
Old style baseplate with soldered spade terminals and 101A in opposite orientation from the later 302s.

And the full cushion layer under the ringer plate rather than the newer three grommets (or is that what you meant by old style baseplate). What year did they change to the grommets?

JorgeAmely

Quote from: persido on September 08, 2012, 04:40:30 PM
Was out for a run, found this phone in the trash along with ...

You found it in the trash ??? ... I love those type of prices!

Consider it a free pass into the world of phone collecting.
Jorge

persido

Just wanted to say thanks, everyone has been a great help.
Doug I followed what you said, and I got the phone working.  It works and sounds great I posted a short clip on youtube (link is below). I had to bring it to work to try it out, I don't have a land line at home....I think Im going to call Verizon and have phone service put back.
Several people have asked to get a photo of the back of the dail, Im not comfortable removing the dail, I tried taking off the center (where the numer card is) I could not do it, I think it has not been touched for 75 years...if you can please help.....Thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojkRcQEtCFY

poplar1

You don't need to take anything off the dial. I was just asking whether it was stamped 4H or 5H in red ink on the back of the dial; this should be visible without disturbing anything. Here is a picture of a 5H; the 4H looks the same but clicks louder when the dial is returning to home position. (This one has a phenol pulse pawl and is super quiet.)

persido

Ok got a photo of the back of the dail it's a 4, I hope thats good.

poplar1

Yes, that dial is the older style as made starting in 1930. I'm not sure when the 5H dials came out; some say 1936. In any case, there was an overlap of a couple of years where both 4H and 5H were manufactured. There was also an overlap of the E1 and F1 handsets. It is interesting that your phone had both the handset and dial which were used on the previous 202 model, yet for certain this is how the phone left the factory.

trainman

I hope it still doesn't belong to the phone company. No joke. My cousin rented a house. The old lady that lived there still leased the phone. Whatever arm the leasing company is these days called, and asked if there still was a rotary phone in use in the house. Wisely, he said no. Whne they moved, they left the phone behind.

migette

Hi

Nice find!!!! and in such good condition, was that H Set used on that model originally? as value, 100 to 250 $ less in UK  maybe. Good luck and hope it works first time I think it will

Peter

Dialvintage

QuoteTo think that something could be installed and in use that long and then tossed aside by someone like a chewing gum wrapper. It's a very sad commentary on the throwaway society we live in today. Thank you for saving that beautiful phone and sharing its story.

I totally agree- how could anyone throw away such a beautiful vintage telephone?! And it still works!!! These telephones were so well made. I have had mobile phones that last a mere two years.