News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Galion Wall Phone and questions

Started by Gilas, December 19, 2012, 12:13:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gilas

I got a call from a local antique store that they got several phones in and wanted to know if I wanted first crack.  I took a drive down and found that she had an Leich crank phone, a lineman phone, AE 80 and a Galion Wall all in black.  I ended up getting the Galion (20 cycle ringer) and AE for $45 total.  The Galion body is in excellent shape and has the North Electric Dial (fingerwheel is broken).  I plugged in it and it all worked except for the ringer. 

I do have a couple questions.  Can I get the 20 cycle to work or will I need a SL ringer?  Also how hard is it to find the fingerwheel for the North dial without paying an arm and a leg? 

Mike

poplar1

Mike, what kind of line do you have? Most US central offices send out 20 cycles so a 20 cycle ringer will work.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Gilas

Hmm maybe the ringer was just hooked up wrong.  I will have to check it out and see.  I have never had any other issues with a rotary ringing so just figured that it was due to the cycle.  As for the line I have it's just a normal phone line no voip etc. 

AE_Collector

We really need a "My Phone Won't Ring" sticky topic here because it is almost always one of a couple of things on the older phones that prevent them from ringing.

One is frequency ringers of course. The other is how the ringer is hooked up. If the phone has a three wire cord, unless someone has already done some changes inside, the ringer is hooked from one side of the line (usually the ring side) to the third "ground" wire of the phone cord. This way installations were easy for either private or party lines.

Party lines rang "metallic" on only one side of the line to ground. Party 1 rang ring to ground and party 2 rang tip to ground. The phone could be wired "straight" at the set block for party one or "reversed" for party two along with a ground to the third lead without the need to open the phone and move wires around.

Private lines rang "bridged" across tip and ring so the third lead of the set cord was hooked under the same screw as the tip side of the line along with the green tip lead. This connected the ringer from tip to ring rather than ring to ground. Again, no need to open up the phone to accomplish this.

So, if a phone won't ring and it doesn't appear to be a frequency ringer (in this case it is a frequency ringer but a 20~ ringer should work in North America) in all likelihood the ringer is not hooked across the line like it should be. A ringer lead needs to be moved inside the phone OR try hooking the third lead of the set cord up to the same terminal as the Tip side of the line at the set block.

Terry

Gilas

Thanks guys I am still trying to learn with all of these and since each one seems to bring a bit different issue at times, or there are things inside that make me say "what the hell is this" it's a learning curve.  This one has two of the lines from the condenser cut but has a small black one linking 1 and 6.  The ringer is only a two wire one as well.  Again sorry for the questions and I swear I have been reading some of the books in my spare time lol.