News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

1950 500 no dial tone - please help!

Started by RotarDad, July 27, 2019, 06:23:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RotarDad

Hello forum - I have just completed a restoration on my 12/50 500 (425A network and 311A equalizer).  But..... It doesn't work....  :(  Here are the symptoms:

1) No dial tone with the handset is lifted (I do hear a low volume "white noise" and can hear static when I connect the line wires).  No ability to dial out.

2) It does ring nicely on incoming calls.  However, when handset is lifted, the ringer stops, but I can still hear electrical noise in the earpiece that matches the ringer signal.  No ability to take the incoming call, and the ringer resumes ringing when I hang up.

3) At one point I did get a dial tone ( without any wire change) but it was not very loud, and I could induce static by tapping on any component in the base.

I've carefully compared with a known-good 2/51 500 and the wiring and dial pulse cam are all good as far as I can see.  I carefully cleaned the switch hook contacts using narrow strips of paper pulled through the closed contacts, but no effect.  What am I missing???  Thank you!!
Paul

rdelius

It is possible that the equilizer is bad

RotarDad

I also eliminated the dial from the circuit and wired the net like a manual set (moved brown stripe wire from "F" to "RR" terminal on network).  No change.

Rdelius - would a bad equalizer prevent dial tone?  I could unsolder the equalizer leads and connect the handset like a 500T ( which had a terminal board instead of the equalizer).  I'd like to avoid that unless I'm more certain about the source of the issue.
Paul

rdelius

I  believe that the equiliser had a resistance lamp to regulate current and the the lamp could burn out

Dan/Panther

I would not unsolder any components until you have absolutely eliminated all possible causes for the problem first.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

RotarDad

Thanks Dan.  I too consider unsoldering things to be a last resort.  I'm using an Xlink Bluetooth device to test the phone as well as my Panasonic 616.  I don't have a POTS line anymore.  Not sure if that would make any difference.  Again my 2/51 500 works fine with either of these phone systems. 

I'd greatly appreciate more input on this issue.....  Thanks!
Paul

RotarDad

Got it fixed!!!!!

The issue turned out to be the center contact for the T-1 transmitter.  See the pic where the center contact in the black G-1 handset is too low and was not making electrical contact....  I started by replacing the entire handset and cord and the set worked.  Then a process of elimination until I noticed the low contact.

I'll have to review the schematic in more detail, but the T-1 circuit is required for dial tone...
Paul

Dan/Panther

Great find. Sometimes a problem like that can drive you nuts, especially if the contact is only slightly low.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

andre_janew

Never thought something like that would cause problems in a 500 set.  Of course, all my 500 sets have a 425B or newer network and will still have dial tone even with the transmitter removed.

RotarDad

Andre - Good point about the 425b setup still providing dial tone without the T-1 transmitter.  I hadn't realized that.  We know that taking a phone off-hook creates a DC signal path across the wire pair, which is detected as loop current back at the central office, which then provides dial tone.  On the 425A/311A set-up, the T-1 must be part of a single circuit path that is interrupted when removed.  This explains why my phone kept ringing when the handset was lifted - no signal path.  With the 425B, there must be a another complete signal path even without the transmitter, so the central office "sees" the phone.  I wonder if this was done to expedite repairs - an open transmitter circuit wouldn't completely disable the phone so trouble-shooting is easier??
Paul

RotarDad

Dan - Thanks for sharing in my repair "victory"... :)  I was very bummed when that phone didn't work after all my restoration effort.   I can appreciate an aircraft in a museum restored to "static display" level, but it bugs me that it isn't complete.  I much prefer a restoration to "flying condition" even if the plane is never flown again.
Paul