News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Glayzit?

Started by WEBellSystemChristian, September 03, 2016, 11:19:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WEBellSystemChristian

I first found out about Glayzit a few years ago, but learned that it was specifically designed for Bakelite yesterday. If I use it, I'm not expecting some miracle shine, as the only restoring ingredient is Silicone. Some here have had unimpressed experience with it, but I believe they applied it to a finish that was still untouched by steel wool or a buffing wheel.

Has anyone tried it?
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

TelePlay

Pictures?

My workshop has no silicone in it.

Radio restorers posted this comparison at this link, main photo below.

http://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=77989

The topic is a good discussion of Glayzit, Brasso and a few other "polishing" materials for Bakelite. I guess it would depend on what the Bakelite was like before using Glayzit, how fast results are wanted and what results the person was looking for, happy with. Radio guys deal with trying to shine Bakelite much more than the telephone nation.

From this link,

http://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7007

it seems Glayzit is used like a paint, or polish - a topical covering rather than a way to make Bakelite smooth again. Maybe something to use after the Bakelite is polished to a shiny surface.

I've not used it, probably won't. Anyone else know of it or have used it?

rdelius

I used Glayzit and other Magnolia telephone refurbishing chemicals years ago. They worked well.glayzit was a spray that was somewhat waxy.don't expect miracles.I have gotten similar results with Johnsons paste wax

DoubleTone

Like other people, I wasn't impressed. The product's name implies results I never could achieve.

Jim Stettler

I have used glazit years ago with fantastic results on bakelite, Spray on, wipe off for a nice "wet" look shine. However, They seem to have changed the formula and the current product is unimpressive.

JMO,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

TelePlay

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on September 03, 2016, 11:19:38 AM
Has anyone tried it?

Love the internet. Doing a Google search for the original formulation of Glayzit (which I could not find), Google found this discussion in the forum started back in 2008, how about that. Topic started 9/16/2008, just a week or so short of 8 years ago.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=66.0

A long inactive member, BOB BONCHAK, posted this which is interesting in that he also points out the Brasso had an old formulation (supposedly with finer grit) that today's in the plastic "can" which some say now has a "diminishing grit," one which is large but reduces in size as it is applied - an interesting concept if true. Bob posted this:

From the Manufacturer's Catalog:  "Used by over 5000 telephone exchanges for the economical reconditioning of both metal and plastic telephone instrument cases.  As it cleans, Glaz-It restores the original luster and color of the surface leaving a hard gloss, dust resistant finish."  The manufacturer represents that has been in business since 1927 (How many can claim that!).  As a bakelite radio collector, I have used GLAYZIT with excellent results.  It is not cheap, but produces a finish equal to a Brasso (old formulation) treatment with a lot less effort.  I'm local to the manufacturer and thus can obtain a case at good cost, and pass on the cost saving to fellow collectors.  Contact me directly if you are interested in trying a can.

If you read through the whole topic, it is a good discussion of Glayzit but it also seems Brasso is preferred for Bakelite by a majority of posters, old or new formula. Glayzit may have changed its formulation sometime between 2008 and today's product, don't know.

Enjoy, it is a good read.

WEBellSystemChristian

Yes, I read that. That topic is what drove me to ask about it.

I wonder what Brasso changed between the old and new formula (probably something illegal now, like lead)? Fortunately, I have a VERY old version of the formula that I found at my grandparents' house (has to be from the '60s or '70s). I'll try a comparison between the old and new formulas.

I also have Noxon...it might be the same as the old Brasso formula. I'll include that in the comparison on a broken Redbar housing.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

rdelius

When I first started using Glayzit in the 1970s It came in a white and orange spray can.sprayed on as a somewhat thick light brownish coat.Would let it dry some what and polish with a soft cloth.I thought that it was better on plastics than bakelite.worked better on bakelite that was polished.Magnolia chemical co had a line of telephone cleaning supplies.

19and41

I had always regarded Glayzit as a wax in a solvent for spraying.  I use it for raising a shine on an otherwise fully abrasive polished surface.  I have my last can of Brasso I bought in the Army in 1979.  It polishes soft plastics and bakelite. 
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke