News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Can paint be removed safely from a Fatboy?

Started by Greg G., July 20, 2018, 03:20:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

Or worded another way, what kind of material is the shell?  I have a buyer who would like it, but if it's plastic and not bakelite, apparently the paint can't be removed safely.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=13163.msg138339#msg138339

Next question:  It has a frequency ringer.  What brand of ringers are interchangeable with the original?  I have a couple extra NIB AE SL ringers if they would work.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

HarrySmith

The best way to test for bakelite is the hot pin test. Surfire every time. Take a pin, hold it with pliers or forceps or some other tool, heat it up until the tip is red then touch it to the material. Somewhere on the inside where it will not be seen. If it is bakelite it will not affect it at all. If it is plastic it will melt. As far as the ringer you would need to compare the mounting.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

kleenax

The SC 1212 (sometimes called Fatboy - a nickname invented by Mary Knappen back in the 70's) is indeed bakelite; that's why they crack/break so darn easy!

I use ethyl alcohol to strip paint from bakelite phones; works great!

Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

Greg G.

Quote from: HarrySmith on July 20, 2018, 03:34:55 PM
The best way to test for bakelite is the hot pin test. Surfire every time. Take a pin, hold it with pliers or forceps or some other tool, heat it up until the tip is red then touch it to the material. Somewhere on the inside where it will not be seen. If it is bakelite it will not affect it at all. If it is plastic it will melt. As far as the ringer you would need to compare the mounting.

So you're saying that some 1212 cases were in fact made of plastic?  Somewhere else on CRPF there was mention of 1212 cases made of tenite? 
Answering my own question, that was for colored 1212s: http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=13163.msg138339#msg138339

So if it's originally black, safe to assume it's bakelite? 

The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

Quote from: kleenax on July 20, 2018, 03:58:04 PM
The SC 1212 (sometimes called Fatboy - a nickname invented by Mary Knappen back in the 70's) is indeed bakelite; that's why they crack/break so darn easy!

I use ethyl alcohol to strip paint from bakelite phones; works great!

I'll let the buyer worry about removing the paint.  Your other comment about the fragility gives me cause for concern because it's being shipped a very long way.
- Mike Row
e

kleenax

Quote from: Brinybay on July 20, 2018, 04:02:53 PM
So you're saying that some 1212 cases were in fact made of plastic?  Somewhere else on CRPF there was mention of 1212 cases made of tenite? 
Answering my own question, that was for colored 1212s: http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=13163.msg138339#msg138339

So if it's originally black, safe to assume it's bakelite? 

I have seen 100's of them, and to my knowledge, yes, if they are BLACK, they are composed of bakelite.
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC