News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

need fingerwheel

Started by suhoni56, October 26, 2014, 08:01:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

suhoni56

I need a clear plastic fingerwheel for a light blue 1957 we 500 D/C. I found 2 listings on ebay. I wonder if they are original? They have no scratches. One is described as "new old stock". I can't paste the links here because my cursor on the pc has vanished, but I searched western electric fingerwheels, and only a few items came up, in case anyone has time to take a look and advise me. Thanks!!!!
Susan

Doug Rose

you want an open face finger wheel for  57 500 set...Doug
Kidphone

WesternElectricBen

I assume that you are looking for a "soft center" finger wheel, because you are planning on using in on a 1957 phone. They are not too hard to find, I would just buy the one from eBay. You may be able to find one on OldPhoneWorks, but the last time I checked they were sold out.

I think these are becoming more uncommon b/c they broke very easily.

Ben

WEBellSystemChristian

If that's the phone I'm thinking of, I was going to put a bid in on it, but I forgot... ;D

Check out Oldphoneworks, they sell open center fingerwheels for $11.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

suhoni56

Old Phoneworks has them on ebay for about 12, but someone else has one that looks the same for 6.

Here's some pics. Will the cheaper one be as good?
Susan

WesternElectricBen

Those are not open center finger wheels, so they are not correct for the phone.

It is possible at one point of time it was updated to that type, but if you want it original, you will need the type that looks like this:

Ben

suhoni56

I do want original. So the one I want does not have plastic in the middle? To the untrained eye, they look the same at first glance. I have never held a fingerwheel in my hand, and have never critically analyzed one.

Thanks for your wisdom and experience!!
Susan

suhoni56

I will contact oldphoneworks directly and tell him what I need. Thanks!!
Susan

jsowers

Susan, the only auction I could find that offered an open center fingerwheel was this one, and it's for one open center and seven solid center fingerwheels, so it's pretty high. You could almost buy another phone for the price.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281410912221

One other thing. Please post a picture of your 1957 phone so we can make sure it has the correct dial on it. Sometimes dials were replaced, and the open center fingerwheel won't fit a dial from the 1970s and 80s. The outside of the phone showing the dial area is all we need.
Jonathan

suhoni56

Thanks Jonathan! Here's a photo.
Susan

WesternElectricBen

Nope, that phone was never modified. So you do in fact need the soft-center finger wheel.

Ben

suhoni56

Thanks, is soft-center the same as open center?
Susan

WesternElectricBen

Kenton K

That looks like a fun soft plastic project phone! Have you ever repaired a plastic crack before? There are a ton of threads on the subject.

KK

suhoni56

No, I have not, but I have read your repair threads. I am an artist, so I will enjoy the challenge. 
www.susanhonikerart.com
Susan