News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Light Gray WE500DR

Started by Slal, November 18, 2014, 01:53:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slal

OK, wasn't lucky enough to get coveted Oxford gray, but finally did get a light gray one that had been on my list for a while. 

All dates are 11-57 except HS restraint which is marked "60."

Think that's 7 more colors if want to have soft plastic collection.  Three of those colors... Heh.  Better win the lotto & be quite patient.  ; )

thx

--Bruce

jsowers

Bruce, it looks really good. One more to cross off the list. Good luck on the rest. Being patient is required. They just aren't showing up like they used to. You could list what colors you still need. Some of us may have extras.

One very minor detail, but since you mentioned it in other posts, I thought you'd like to know that the light gray 505A 4-prong plug dates to about 1965 or later, so it wouldn't be original to the phone. Originally this would have had a 283B plug in brown or ivory, more than likely, or no plug at all. But it's a very minor thing.
Jonathan

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: jsowers on November 18, 2014, 05:12:35 PM

One very minor detail, but since you mentioned it in other posts, I thought you'd like to know that the light gray 505A 4-prong plug dates to about 1965 or later, so it wouldn't be original to the phone. Originally this would have had a 283B plug in brown or ivory, more than likely, or no plug at all. But it's a very minor thing.
Since it's not a perfect date-matching phone, why don't you send it to me, and you can put this whole 'flawed phone' thing behind us. Hey, I'll even pay postage! ;D ;)

Seriously though, very nice find! Light gray seems like one of those colors that's considered rare, but would be really easy to find for cheap. But in reality, it's the hardest color to find in hard plastic (other than brown multilines), and is much harder to find in soft plastic. Light gray has been at the top of my hard plastic 500 'want' list for a very long time. Nice find!!
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Slal

Yes, came without plug so just added one from an assortment of them bought off e-bay.

Colors on wish list a good idea.  Am very lucky to have found a collector who's willing to part with some spares.  Networking beats e-bay.  ; )

Wishlist:
Aqua
Blue1
Brown (seller doesn't have spare)
Dark Gray (seller doesn't have spare either)
Ivory
Light Beige
pink
Red
Green
Turquoise (if group decides one in gallery really discolored aqua)

BTW: might be amused am going by your 'scarcity' list I read here:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=12122.msg128349#msg128349

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on November 18, 2014, 08:27:05 PM
Since it's not a perfect date-matching phone, why don't you send it to me, and you can put this whole 'flawed phone' thing behind us. Hey, I'll even pay postage! ;D ;)

OK... If it's a birthday phone, I'll trade you for...  A beige 2500 by ITT?   :D

thx

--Bruce
1.) Might have option to buy a blue one as part of friendly sports wager.  Proxy bid *two* Med blue phones for Ole Miss alumni.  And as fate would have it, his Alma Mater defeated Alabama for first time since 1963!  He's a very happy man & swears victory because of his blue 'birthday phone.'  He might consider selling second one in his office depending on who wins the Iron Bowl... 

jsowers

That scarcity list was built up from years and years of buying phones on eBay. It needs to be revised to say they are ALL more scarce than they used to be, and I'm referring to the 1950s soft plastic 500s when I say that. They aren't showing up like they once did. Good luck finding those colors. Brown and Dark Gray will be very hard to find, or they are for most people.
Jonathan