Yes
9 (81.8%)
No
2 (18.2%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: November 11, 2014, 08:17:07 PM

poplar1

Quote from: Dennis Markham on November 10, 2014, 07:15:55 PM
Thanks for the laugh, Jorge.  I'm with you on this one.....OUT!

I have only seen one other early black 500 with the curved "operator" on ebay.  That was six or eight years ago I believe.  Unfortunately I didn't win it.  Maybe one of these days............

Quote from: JorgeAmely on November 10, 2014, 12:42:43 PM
As the sharks on the TV show say, "I am out".  :'(

A 500 dated 7/50 sold for $128.53 on July 18, 2014:
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=12305.msg129849#msg129849
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Dennis Markham

Thanks for the reminder Poplar.  I guess I have short-term memory loss.  I completely forgot about that one and the topic relating to it.  :-[

Kenton K

TelePlay

A technical question here.

From this photo, it seems the initials were written before the vermillion dial and date stamp were applied.

Does this mean the initials were of those who put the dial together and tested it and then when complete and tested as working, the stamp applied over the initials prior to installation?

unbeldi

Quote from: TelePlay on November 10, 2014, 09:12:53 PM
A technical question here.

From this photo, it seems the initials were written before the vermillion dial and date stamp were applied.

Does this mean the initials were of those who put the dial together and tested it and then when complete and tested as working, the stamp applied over the initials prior to installation?

Seems that way.
I have long suspected that these date stamps are not actually manufacturing stamps, but inventory stamps, applied sometime after passing QA.  Sometimes we find that a piece part has been stamped twice--recalling a recent example of handset caps that were stamped in two different months 12-53 and 01-54.  A part would hardly go back to the first manufacturing stages to be stamped again. It has to be somewhat removed from primary manufacturing.

Phonesrfun

Quote from: poplar1 on November 10, 2014, 08:33:49 PM
A 500 dated 7/50 sold for $128.53 on July 18, 2014.....

I have a 1950 with the curved U shaped "operator" that I bought at a phone show a year and a half ago for $125  It was missing a handset and both cords.  Other than that, it's all original.  I don't think it has that style of governor on the dial.  I am out of town and cannot check it today.  Dennis helped me by providing a near perfect early G1 handset and a stand-in handset cord. 

Judging by this auction, I should keep mine for a while.  My wife just about shot me for spending $125 on a black 500, but after a while (I think) she has come around to understanding the significance.  Had I spent north of $1,000 for it, she'd have probably packed her bags.

I must admit, the one in the auction looks pristine, and is probably the best example of a complete early set I've seen.  The neoprene rubber handset cord might be problematic on this one.  I see the photo of the receiver has one of the receiver wires where the neoprene insulation on one of the white wires is brittle and cracking seriously.  That is very common for that kind of handset wire, so it may or may not have static when used.  Still, if I owned the phone, I would not try to replace the cord because the equalizer version of that cord has ends inside the phone that are unique to the equalizer model, and hard to come by.
-Bill G

Greg G.

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on November 10, 2014, 11:16:28 AM(For some reason, it won't let me copy and paste the Auctiva pictures)

Whenever I come across something like that, I just use the Windows snipping tool.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

JimH

Are those clear plungers on this set?
Jim H.

TelePlay

Quote from: JimH on November 11, 2014, 09:15:11 PM
Are those clear plungers on this set?

They look "very" clear to me in the Auction Contest photos just put up on the contest page

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=13046.0

. . . and yes, the Auction Contest (#152) for this phone is up and running.