News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

question about touch tone conversion parts

Started by Claven2, June 14, 2013, 07:38:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Claven2

Does anyone know if such a beast exists as a push-button or touch tone 3" dial exists that replaces a generic vintage rotary dial so that a vintage phone could be made to look original, but that the dial is actually a modern push-button affair?

I know entire repro phones exist, but I'd like ot know if you can convert a real, more unusual phone, like say an AE space saver, to have modern non-rotary features?

I personally prefer dial, but I need a new kistchen wall phone and my wife is not a rotary dialling fan.

twocvbloke

I think such things do exist, but as to their availability, I personally don't know!! :D

If you want a vintage phone that is touchtone, how about getting something like a WE 2554? It's nice and compact, has a real ringer and looks nice... :)

I have the Cortelco version and it makes for a nice kitchen phone, compact, out of the way, and fit it with a long handset cable and it'll reach most parts of an average kitchen... :D

Claven2

Yeah, that's a possibility, but if I want ot wean the Mrs. off of modern cordnelss handsets, it will need to have a redeeming decore trait.  Personelly, I think an AE space-saver with the dial up top on the narrow shaft just looks so retro-cool for a wall phone that she might go for it, provided it's touch-tone. 

I might be asking for the impossible though.

Mr. Bones

If memory serves me correct, Ray makes a tt pad casting for the 211's. might be worth a look...

Bones
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

Jim Stettler

WE had a round TT dial for some of their design line sets. I thinkthe  Celebrity was one of them.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

poplar1

A Northern Electric 2554 or ITT 3554 is identical to a rotary 554 other than the dial. It's not 3" but the larger size as on 500s. So it looks 1960s instead of 1940s.

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Mr. Bones

This would definitely look more vintage, imho:

Put this 211 tt pad housing:

http://www.telephonecreations.com/prod02.htm

On a WE211 / G-Mount, add housing, and pad. Add nice F1 handset. Poof! Bob's your uncle!

I think you will need a subset, unless WE did something miniature and magic with the 2211's.

You end up with this: http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=8761.msg94091#msg94091

(Posted pics minus the F1, of course.)

Mid-Century Modern old enough for your decor? Buy / make a 3554. OPW has the 5" dial pad inserts that will fit any readily-available, garden-variety 554-type. Green Brown Beige Aqua White. Other colours require painting, apparently... $9.95 for white, 14.95 for Aqua, etc.

http://www.oldphoneworks.com/_search.php?page=1&q=3554

I am going to do one, my dang self; I just like the looks... 8) a 500 will follow suit, afterwards. I exponentially prefer it to the square TT instruments WE decided upon...

Best regards!

Mr. Bones
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

Phonesrfun

The thought is sacreligeous to me, but Crosley makes some 302/354-style phones that has such a thing.  The best thing to do (in my opinion) is to have an authentic rotary phone and wire in a touch-tone pad in a box external to the phone.  Another option would be a Rototone.
-Bill G