News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

I went a different direction this time! WECo 544 Mahogany Brown

Started by Jester, May 20, 2010, 12:26:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jester

As a collector of interesting telephones, it has not escaped my notice that keysets, or "business phones", would be worthy of my attention.  The problem has been that I'm picky, & I've passed up a number of good buys because they were "too new".  This 544 was on ebay recently, & everything fell into place for me.  It would have been nice if it had been cheaper, but I still think it was a bargain.  The whole time I was watching this auction, & later when I was cleaning the phone, I kept picturing that wonderful example of a six button set that  John S. owns.  Please, John, don't tell me what you paid for yours--it would be too painful! :'( :'(
Stephen

Dan/Panther

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Jester

D/P,

It is an original mahogany brown keyset from '55.
Stephen

Dan/Panther

Gheez;
I'm running outta room here, to start something new...Beautiful.
D/P

Jester

I can sympathize with "running outta room"!  My wife reminds me all the time!! ;D  At least she doesn't bring up "running outta money"! ???
Stephen

Jim Stettler

I was watching that auction. That phone is nicer than mine. Mine is missing the FW, reciever element, and the amphenol was cut off.  

I got it "free" with a $150.00 switchboard. I offered $100 for the switchboard and he countered $150. I bought the board and he started poking around in some more boxes and said, here is an early keyphone. I offered to buy it and he said I could have it since I went the extra $50.00 on the switchboard.

At that moment (in my mind) the deal became $150 for the phone,providing I haul away the switchboard.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

AET

I bid on this keyset, I'm glad it went to a good home.
- Tom

Jester

In my excitement to announce this one, I rushed the photo shoot and I'm disappointed with the pictures.  Here are some outside shots I took this afternoon that I think are a little nicer.  At least the shine on the plastics is more evident this time.
Stephen

JorgeAmely

Stephen, you should warn us about those shiny phones. Now I will be blind for a little while. Excellent job.

Are you planning to connect it to the phone line or will it be for display only?

What about some under the hood pictures?

Jorge

Dennis Markham

Stephen, the phone is awesome, no doubt about that.  I really like the round keys.  But I think your original photos showed the color better.  The new ones, (on my monitor at least) have a bluish tint to them.  Is your camera set for incandescent lighting?  Maybe went from A/C outside and there is some fog??  Maybe my eyes are foggy.  How old is one when cataracts begin???

JorgeAmely

Stephen:

Check to see if there is a finger smudge on the lens. That is a cause for blurry pictures. Alcohol and a Q tip will take care of that.

Jorge

Dan/Panther

Quote from: Dennis Markham on May 20, 2010, 03:05:53 PM
How old is one, when cataracts begin???

Dennis;
When you get tired of driving your Rincolns...
D/P

baldopeacock

You'd think this phone must have originally been installed in an executive office somewhere.   The lower-on-the-foodchain people would have gotten black keysets.   If these things could talk, there would probably be some interesting stories behind them.

D/P,  thanks for the Rincoln joke.   I was thinking it, you took the words right out of my mouth.

Dennis Markham

Well, it took me a while.  I just got the Rincoln joke.

McHeath

Wow, that sure is pretty!  I followed that auction, and knew that it would go high as it's a rare bird.  Glad a good home got it, as AtomicTom said.